Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] Star Wars Speeder

sleepygiraffe
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
sleepygiraffe polycounter lvl 4

Personal project done in my spare time. I treated this as a hero game asset specifically when deciding on texture resolution and poly count.

Modeling high poly was done in Maya and Zbrush and low ploy was done in Maya with quad draw.

Baking, texturing and rendering was done completely in Substance Painter, with some custom tools created in Substance Designer.

Focused on blocking out materials first and using instanced layers to texture over multiple texture sets at the same time. Once all the materials were blocked in I cut the instancing and customized each material per texture set. After pushing the procedural texturing as far as I could I finished off the texting with a hand painting (story telling) pass. Anchor points came in handy for automated masking and adjusting multiple layers at the same time.

Artstation

Crits welcomed

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Nice work. I like the cloth in the back, very convincing fold work on that part. Something about the body color/material seems a bit off to me, maybe increase the roughness ever so slightly?

All in all, good work, comes across as a functional piece of machinery.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have a general breakdown on your textures in terms of the layers/groups of layers? 

For myself, I feel like I'm still behind on what it means to properly approach realistic texturing like this and I wonder if it's because I'm not approaching it with a relatively standard template of "have these layers of detail in general?"
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Envious. I modeled one of these a couple years ago and this is what I hoped it would look like.