Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baking of Cages

Immorthar
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Immorthar polycounter lvl 2
Hello, Everyone! Have some intresting problems with baking. I have HP(Hi-Poly) radiator grid of automobile:

I tried to normals bake it into plane:

I used Marmoset Toolbag 3, without padding and got that result:

I heard something about alpha-channel to make holes transparent. I made alpha map and got my holes>:)

And finaly i need to get curvature like in first image or of radiator grid of this car (below), i mean waviness of sticks, on this image (above) there is almost no waviness.
 Is there any way to get this waviness? It's not strict need to be baked on plane, just want to get knowlege how to bake grids.

Replies

• Immorthar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will be very appriciated if u gimme links on resourses where i can get the Knowlege.
  • Ask
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask polycounter lvl 4
    try to bake also height map and use it as displacement or parallax 
  • Immorthar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask said:
    try to bake also height map and use it as displacement or parallax 
    Hey, thanks for your reply! I tried to bake height map, but it gave me odd result (i baked in Marmoset Toolbag 3). Height distances: -0.5, 0.5
    If lower height distance to: -0.01, 0.01

That's still not good, so i used instead of height map curvature map, which look that way

Applying that to displacement channel and tweaking parametres give odd result too, it seems like displacement channel moving object along axis (look at displacement params)

So i applied curve map to paralax channel, and it gave some decent results!
    Here without curve map in parallax channel

And here with it

It looks better in temrs of bulkiness and maybe it's OK, but i want it looks more bulky, is there any way to get those curve sticks make visible when they coming bihind each other?

I mean make visible parts of sticks that goes underneath other sticks like in case inside of red circle.