Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cat Character Illustration WIP asking for major Critiques pls :)

RagingMunkey18
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
RagingMunkey18 triangle

Hi guys , Hoes it going? this is my first post on this forum. I am working on improving my Colors and Material rendering. Can you guys help me out pls? What do you guys think?

Replies

• Drawmaevedraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drawmaevedraw polygon
    i absolutely love it! the design is really looking cool.  I'm learning stuff about material rendering just by looking at it! You have some awesome bounce light going on in your work, I would like to improve on mine. 

I'm wondering where you are picking up the green on his shoes- are the the same material as the copper handle on his weapon?

Honestly really love this design, I hope you keep up with it! 
  • EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    hey @RagingMunkey18 , super cute character you have there! I really enjoy the design
    to me the materials look like what they are, maybe the ears could use a more furry look
    For colors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LhcNbFMkTw  10 min video from marco bucci, super clear and helpful
    Like maeve mentionned, maybe add a patch of green grass to justify the green bounce light on the shoes.
    looking fwd to more stuff :)
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Welcome to the forum, and your character looks super cute and awesome!

sword design dosnt really match character design, other then that its looking really nice! love the rendering and color choices.

what I mean about the sword is that its very jagged and detailed compared to the character, which only uses smooth round shapes.

I would look a bit more at the structure and the construction of some of the body parts as well. for example the shoulder pad kinda looks like its part of the arm, rather then sitting on top of it.

The scarf could use some cleanup and better construction as well, how is it going from the neck over to the cape part? its just going through his arm at the moment for example.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    There're already some good points by the guys above, im just basically repeating some of them:

- damaged sword design suggest that the character has already been in a bunch of battles/fights, but the armor parts are mostly clean/ smooth/new suggesting otherwise, which doesnt make a lot of sense putting them together.

- some of the armor parts' design doesnt make sense/ look flat, most obvious one would be that boomerang shaped headpiece, it looks like its superglued on the character's head - try to conform it to the character's head shape/around the ears to give it depth/make it looks plausible.

- my biggest problem with the character is that it looks nothing like a cat character as stated. Is it cute? yes! Does it looks like a cat? probably not: the head-ear ratio suggest it to be a mouse or a fox's proportion, fur's color scheme combines with the head shape also make the character looks like a fox, the clean rendering of the fur and the a-bit-crazy ear's design doesnt help much either.

• RagingMunkey18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RagingMunkey18 triangle
    Hey guys thank you so much for the feedback , really loving it :D Heres the final result of the painting. Im positive theres more room to improve.  

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks great, love the update! :)

noticed one thing, I dont think the perspective of the handle and the blade lines up. I like the depth you added to the handle, but you need to align the blade as well.
  • tuxmask75
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tuxmask75 polycounter lvl 10
    Screams Rocket Knight Adventure to me. Loved that game!