Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for Portfolio Critique

ericapg
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
ericapg polycounter lvl 2
I am a recent college grad looking for honest and helpful feedback on my portfolio. I am open to finding a job in any industry.  My main focus is 3D modeling and texturing. I am currently trying to build up my portfolio while I save money to move, and apply for jobs elsewhere.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, I think you should be using ArtStation for your portfolio. Your site should open up on your 3D work first thing; there should be no 'home' page. Your art is pretty cool. Good luck with the job hunt :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Your "applying to jobs" portfolio needs to have mostly the 3D work only.

Upvote about the Artstation page.  You can do a dump of ALL your art there, but your commercial portfolio should mostly be the 3D art.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Another +1 for artstation.
    If your focus is 3D modeling and texturing you're going to have to cut a lot of stuff that you have, you have a little bit of everything and it's weighing you down.
    Once you cull a majority of your stuff that is not related to 3D modeling or texturing you then have to decide if you want to pursue a character or environment path and stick to it. There aren't many generalist positions these days as the industry is getting more specialized. I think at the moment that is the best advice we can offer until we know what direction you want to take yourself and then we can dissect your work further.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    787 null
    Agreed, put it all on ArtStation, OR just make a simple one page website layout, works best for portfolios.

If you have some web dev experience, try using the Twitter Bootstrap plugin, and check out Start Bootstrap, they have a ton of stunning free portfolio templates, example https://blackrockdigital.github.io/startbootstrap-creative/

Your content looks great may want to reduce the quantity. I see a stunning environment on your landing page but it cannot be clicked, do a breakdown, the best is to just have your viewer scroll all the way down on one page like ArtStation style, the hiring managers can't be bothered to jump around on a website trying to find work.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    1) Use Artstation

2) get out the pruning shears and get rid of 80% of it. Sounds brutal, but your 2D stuff isn't super amazing and seems more like filler than dope hotness that will net you a job. If it's not your passion or strong suit, ditch it. storyboards, illustrations etc etc, just get rid of it, its not helping you. Get rid of the animation stuff, it looks like student work. right now navigating your portfolio with all the sections and subsections is a chore, 2 clicks in and I kinda wanted to give up because it felt like there was just too much to sift through.

3) get organized and focused, and really sell yourself as whatever your intended job role would be, I would say your environment work, especially that alley and scifi scene are your strongest pieces. I would focus on creating more high quality work like that. 3-5 super strong enviro pieces should be able to get you a job, if you are not getting replies to job applications, just keep working until your work is AAA quality. You need to make yourself super relevant to the positions you are applying to, right now your portfolio is way too jack of all trades. It's great to taste everything while you are learning, but once you find something you like, hammer on those skills until your work is making peoples jaw drop.

4) if you want to get a job in games, your work needs to be in a game engine like UE4 or unity. having realtime work shows you understand atleast some of the basics of the game art production workflow. 

5) don't lose hope, getting into the industry is a marathon, not a sprint. Just keep producing art and auditing old work out of your portfolio as you go.

good luck on the hunt :)
  • ericapg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericapg polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback. I will definitely use Artstation! This helps me a lot!