Home Marmoset

Height Map Artifacting

B_Ran_Don
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
B_Ran_Don polycounter lvl 3
Having an issue with baking height maps on some pieces of geometry. From my understanding... the height map as well as other maps are calculated based on the normal map. Not sure why I'm getting shading along my topology lines. Tried a variety of setting changes and am stuck. Any ideas? Thanks! 

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The height map is calculated from the high poly geometry. Specifically, the faceting you see here is the difference between the high and low poly meshes, which is expected and exactly what a height map is. What looks like artifacts here are essential to recreate the curvature of the source high poly mesh when the height map is used for displacement.

Additionally, all the maps in Toolbag's baker (such as curvature, ao, etc) are generated from the highpoly rather than the normal map for quality and accuracy reasons.
  • B_Ran_Don
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B_Ran_Don polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks! My mistake. I was thinking height from top to bottom (position). I appreciate the time!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B_Ran_Don said:
    Thanks! My mistake. I was thinking height from top to bottom (position). I appreciate the time!
    I see, there is a position output in Toolbag as well, if you click Configure Maps you can add the position map.