Home Technical Talk

how to generate non-repeatable vegetation pattern that fits into a contour of a complex shape?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Stas Mikhailov polycounter lvl 5

hey everyone. in a while i was thinking about some ways of optimisation and automatisation of my ways to create 3d assets. step by step i came to this question. How can i fastly cover mech robot with some sort of patterns? this is all fine with a simple-shaped details. i can just create a bunch of decals of a rectangular, longitudinal and circular shapes. and then just stamp them on the details of an appropriate shape in the software of my choice. let say in substance painter or UE4. and i can use these decals in different projects and on different details. but. let say that i have an armor detail of a random complex shape. and let say i have a ton of them in my design of a mech. and i don’t want to manually draw patterns that exactly fits in to a contours of each of these details. so here is the question. is there any way to generate such patterns (let it be a vegetation pattern with flowers and leafs - yes, that is strange for a mech) that will fit in to a contour that i need? i mean not a repeatable pattern that just trimmed by the contour. i’m thinking about non-repeatable complex vegetation pattern that is based on that contour. the pattern should be a derivative of the contour. if there is a sharp edge of the contour - some sharp leaf should be placed there. and where we see a rounded part of the contour - a rounded flower should be placed. of course i am talking about the ideal case. but maybe there is at least some semblance of what i am writing about here exists?

some super-complicated substance designer graph?

some AI solution?

i understand that no generative solution will be better than good old manual work. but still i am interested.

your thoughts?