Home Technical Talk

Rendering and shading

juanoblagu
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
juanoblagu polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone i cant seem to find any tutorials on disney/pixar/blue studios-esque rendering and shading for 3D characters, i have the documentation on V-ray but i cant seem to get everything i need to get the finish i want, do you guys have any recommendation?
many thanks in advance.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I, too, would love to get some pointers on locations for these tutorials.

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    could you be more specific... show some examples what you try to render.?
  • juanoblagu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juanoblagu polycounter lvl 6
    oglu said:
    could you be more specific... show some examples what you try to render.?
    Hi, thanks for answering my aim is to exactly achieve renders like this:

from amazin Guzz Soares

from the amazing Fracois Boquet

artist like vitor hugo, pedro conti, this is the exact kind of renders i want to achieve. sadly i cant even render and shade correctly the eyes, i feel like i need something else, like a tutorial, a course or a workshop i dont know.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Honestly, I don't think the rendering/shading is any different from trying to do photorealistic renders. They're just thrown on stylized characters/props.

The skin and eyes could be any SSS shader. The hair in both pictures have anisotropic highlights. The clothes, bucket, and ground are using any PBR dielectric material with a bump/displacement mapping.

Where it differs from complete photorealism is they take certain liberties that exist in Looney Tunes or Disney. Like the face texture doesn't have realistic pores, it's meant to look smooth all over. 

Basically, you need to understand how real life lighting and materials works and have a solid understanding of cartoon artstyles. Combine the two, and you get the Pixar/Blue Studios look.

I've made both stylzied and realistic art, and there wasn't much difference in how I approached lighting/texturing. I just customized one to feel more "cartoony" than the other.

My Army G-Wagon was just hand painted textures while using a realistic shader that mimicked car paint, rubber, plastic, and glass. But I mostly played around with the design by exaggerating the size of the wheels, making the chassis stubbier, and I made the machine gun much more simpler. 

My wet floor followed the same principle. I made materials and textures that covered concrete, liquids, dust and dirt. But there is no cartoon exaggeration and the textures are all photos instead of hand paint.

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It also helps to find breakdowns/demo reels of VFX Movies. It's better than just watching a tutorial IMO. 

A good one that comes to mind is Eiti Sato's "Sixteen". Absorb everything you see from the beginning to end, and just try and match it in complete detail.