Home Technical Talk

ZBrush problem - mirror and weld asymmetrical

wilson66
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wilson66 polycounter lvl 8
I have a strange problem that I did not come across yet. I have a model of a character with clothes, and during the modeling process I decided to make the clothing symmetrical.

To do this, I used the 'mirror and weld' feature in ZBrush.

I created the retopology in Modo, and noticed after the texture baking process in Substance Painter that there were strange artifacts happening in some places. After some testing I loaded the model from ZBrush into Modo, noticing that the highres model did not match the lowres model perfectly, but was a little off on one side (I created just one side of the topology object and mirrored it to the other side without checking it was actually matching the highres object afterwards).

Modo has a symmetrize feature, and I applied it to the highres model from ZBrush (supposed to be symmetrical already). There was a very noticable shift in geometry. Meaning, the exported model from ZBrush wasn't perfectly symmetrical.

I tested this multiple times, the model from ZBrush just isn't symmetrical after applying the mirror and weld.

Any ideas?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Any chance you could upload the tool somewhere?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I had an epic fight with zbrush a while back that sounds somewhat similar. 

I can't say specifically how it happened, but somehow my model got minutely off the x axis and this screwed everything up entirely, as the change was so slight that I couldn't notice it, but working with symmetry on was further exacerbating the issue. I ended up moving the model to maya (sorry I don't know modo), cutting it in half, aligning the middle edge to the origin, and mirroring, then bringing the thing back to zbrush. Then, I used project all  to get the subdivision details back.

I am certain you can do the same in zbrush, but working in maya is way more straightforward to me for that sort of thing, so it made more sense to fix things there.