Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[ENVIRONMENT COMPLETE UE4] Hotrod Workshop

plum66
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
plum66 null
Hello. This is my first post. I would like to show my first environment project that I am building for my portfolio. I am using Modo 12, zBrush, Substance Painter, Substance Designer and Unreal 4 with GPU Lightmass to build this project.

I absolutely love hotrodding and motorcyling. Where 3d is concerned, I aspire to be a hard surface & or environment artist. I decided to build my workshop as I can work multiple hard surface objects into the scene and ease my way into Substance Designer where texturing is concerned. The scene will be shot at night. I feel like it captures the spirit of the environment and will create more interesting lighting.

The scene is still very sparse where geometry is concerned. I still have to add a lot of tools/parts/accessories, etc. I have recently started adding some warp/damage to the interior sheet metal.

Current tasks are to swap the existing frame with a a Z'd frame on the welding bench which will add an interesting silhouette to the exterior shot. After that I will begin to create engine parts and tools to populate the scene with. From there I will complete my materials, concrete on the inside and gravel on the outside. My interior concrete will be relatively clean for the time being, as I want to add variation through the use of Decals, ie, oil spills, water, etc. That being said, there are cracks in certain spots on the pad. I was thinking of building a second variation of my concrete material that has said cracks, so I can vertex paint them onto the pad. Is this overkill? Can it be achieved with desirable results through the use of Decals?

I will sculpt some tiny pebbles and builds some decaying leaves to scatter around the nooks and crannies of the shop/parts. 

The vehicle you see next to the welding bench is particularly dark because is a HP mesh with botched UVS. I will complete this model a little later.

Concrete WIP - Current plan is to add some dirt buildup in the larger cavities. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread. Feedback is strongly encouraged, and greatly appreciated. I want to make this piece as best as possible.

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Nice lighting and atmosphere, though in terms of both geometry and material detail it's all very sparse and spartan.
  • plum66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plum66 null
    Nice lighting and atmosphere, though in terms of both geometry and material detail it's all very sparse and spartan.
    Thanks! Yes, it's still very much in the early stages. Look forward to the next update with more props added. I am not sure how "colorful" the structure will be as it's a very crude environment.

• plum66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plum66 null
    Hi everyone. I was hoping to post an update sooner, but unfortunately one of the larger pieces I ended up losing due to a technical oversight on my part, which also led to me writing over my backup file :smiley:

Anyways here is my current status of the project.

I finally finished modelling my '35 5 window coupe. I am still texturing it, but I got the itch to play around in Marmoset. I realize this is probably way too dark, and I will do much brighter renders for final presentation -- this is just for fun.

Here is the inside of the shop from the outside.

Few changes here. Moved the '35 to the left and the welding bench to the right. I wanted to give a better vertical silhouette so I put the body of another Model A on top of the welding bench. Currently it is floating, it will be on stands. This helps with the story, that the frame is being built custom for this car. Eventually, I will have all the tools associated with it, on the bench, etc. The body will be a different texture, most likely rusted. I am testing another light spread over the bench/car, still no model for it yet.

I also rebuilt the walls, (metal panels). I made the ribbing softer, beveled edges, and also I made the bends in the sheet metal more soft so things don't look so polygonal like before.

I moved things around in the back so I can put a parts shelving unit on the back wall. Currently just a blockout for scale.

My current goals for this project are to finish building the shelving unit at the back and then blockout some real wiring along the walls for the electrical system. Hopefully I can get some nice but subtle hanging wires that bring character to the scene. 

From there I will finish texturing the vehicles and then begin to populate the scene with medium/small sized props, while also scattering pebbles, metal cutoffs, nuts bolts, leaves, etc throughout the perimeter of the shop.

Once that begins to shape up, the plan is to work on the concrete floor. Detailing it with cracks, oils, dirt, etc through the use of decals in engine. I also need to build the gravel texture for the outside. 

Look forward to hearing any feedback. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my thread and I hope to have things more fleshed out on my next update!
  • plum66
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plum66 null
    Hi everyone. I finished my environment and wanted to share it with everyone here. Got some great feedback from some wonderful people. Special thanks to Ola Haldor Solvik Voll, William Vaughan, Antione Guillo, and Justin Casale.

You can checkout my project on ArtStation https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Bmo9w9
    Full prop and vehicle breakdowns/renders are on my profile to be viewed as well.

I hope you like it!