Home Technical Talk

Maya fbx import only wireframe visible

bosko
node
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
bosko node
hey Guys,

following problem: I wanted to do some character animations in maya, so I created a new project and imported my mesh (fbx file) into maya. However it only appears as a wireframe. i've checked the shading and rendering options already and they should be fine.. Moreover I tried to assign a new material which didn't work either.

Finally I've created a cube and combined the meshes, which finally worked somehow. The thing is that now many transformations appear in the outliner and I am not able to select the single components of my character mesh anymore...

Any advice about how to fix or clean that up? Advice would be very appreciated...

Here are some Screenshots of my problem:

mesh after import

created a cube and combined the meshes

what i get in the outliner now... also wondering about the black spots..

again, I ll be happy about any advice. Have nice weekend folks!

Replies

• bosko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bosko node
    for anyone interested. not sure if its the best solution but in the end i combined each mesh with a cube. after that i deleted those in component mode and deleted the history of the objects to get rid of the ktransforms appearing in the outliner. Hope i don't get into trouble because of that later on.. ^^I´ll let u guys know! 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is typically a good way to clean up a mesh. :) Models also have a Drawing Overrides section in the attribute editor for both the transform and shape nodes, this was probably set to Template mode. Something to check out if you run into this again later.
  • 23ds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    23ds null
    You could look for the issue by using hypergraph > connections and see what is all connected to this mesh. I had similar issues with imported (converted) CAD stuff and in some cases I could not assign a new material, but it definitely was the issue. Because deleting the shading GROUP connected to the mesh (the mesh should turn into a violent, pretty unshaded green then) and THEN assigning a new shader did the trick there. If Maya does not want to connect a shader via hypershade's > assign material to selection you could also try to connect it manually via the hypergraph. Also solved a few issues with these types of errors for me.

Might not be the case with your mesh, but I wanted to throw the hypergraph into the thread.

• TTools
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TTools polycounter lvl 4
    Sorry for the plug here, but if you continue to run into problems with combining objects and what are often referred to as hanging transforms then you might find my AttachMaster script useful.
    It will combine your objects while maintaining translation data, rotation, pivot point, orientation, hierarchy, and does not leave any hanging transforms.
    See this video for a demonstration:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2mK7I1Errw&feature=youtu.be

The entire set of tools can be found in the link below, and if you're a student there is a discounted non-commercial version at a reduced cost.
    http://www.thomashamiltonart.com/TTools.html