Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brutal Knights - Game Project/Learning Experience

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Bolovorix polycounter lvl 8
So an old co-worker and myself decided to collaborate on a game project idea. It's mostly an opportunity to learn some new areas of game development at the same time as make something that is fun and looks cool.

He'll be streaming some of his programming on twitch: HERE

I figured I would make a thread on polycount to document what I learn during the process.

Anyways, here's a crazy proportioned knight that we're going to use as a starting point. 

Figure it might be worth mentioning that all of these models have been made with Zmodeler. Something else I'm trying to get better at using. I think if it had a simple "cut polygon" tool like Max or Maya it would be even more powerful. You can get similar functionality using the zsphere method but it's so cumbersome to get the mesh into there in order to modify it.

A few different weapons

Replies

• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    I picked this project back up a few years ago when I started learning Unity. Lately I've been experimenting with a visual style that is simpler/faster for a solo project.
    Here's a little WIP of the player character.

• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    I made the transition over to blender for personal projects at the beginning of the year so I have been reworking my old animations on a new rig.
    Here's a first pass attack animation on the new rig that will get broken up into 2 separate animations for use with my combo system in Unity. 
    I'm purposefully keeping the amount of keyframes pretty minimal in order to try to speed up the process.
  • Phoenix995
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995 interpolator
    OMG you are doing the unthinkable! you are trying to pick up an old project to finish it!!! 
    Every Artist in the world looks at this and is jalous^^

back to topic, your keyframes look juicy already :) keep it up
    also i like the gradient you had on the assets 3 years ago :) looks nice!
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Phoenix995  thanks! Originally I was intending to do a UE4/PBR style project but once it became a solo project I didn't want to be tackling too many things all at once. Learning some basic C#/Unity was already a heavy enough challenge, lol.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    i like the character, best of luck a solo adventure, everyone of us wish they could do that don't they.  My issue is trusting others, lol with today's climate seems 1000% valid.

• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DavidCruz! It definitely hasn't been the easiest to remain focused on one project for so long.
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some clips from 2020 of my old animations that I used for a long time.

• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    A clip from an early prototype from 2019.

Essentially this was the first complete "loop."

• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Ran into an issue when implementing my new animations; The melee attacks were missing the enemy when they felt like they should be hitting them.

I overlooked the significance of the keyframe placement of my first pass animations, which, just by luck were placed in a way that made the melee "feel" good right off the bat.
     The spheres represent my spherecasts that are casting back to their position from the last frame, essentially creating a filled area that is checking if there is an enemy to damage.
    My old animations had a nice perpendicular area, like a slice of pie, out if front that felt really nice whereas the new animation create a triangular shape that keeps missing.

At least... I think that's what is causing the issue, lol. 

• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    I adjusted the new attack animations and added an extra frame to get a better spherecast arch which solved the issue of the melee attack missing when it "felt" like it should have hit. 

• Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    While I was implementing the new animations into my animation controller I had to resolve the undesired effect of my melee attack animations playing in the direction the hips were facing. Since my Forward-Left, Forward-Right, etc... animations were just the run Forward animation rotated 45-degrees in either direction I need to address this in order to get the melee to feel right.
    The goal was to achieve a similar feel of your typical 3rd person shooter where the upper body faces forward while the lower body animations face the direction the player is moving.

For this I ended up using 3 layers and avatar masks for my locomotion animations: 
    -One for the lower-body
    -One for the hips
    -One for the upper-body
    I synced the layers to the base locomotion layer so that all three layers share the same state-machine structure. This allowed me to customize the blend trees for each state in each layer. (I should probably put the Death state on it's own layer...)

This also worked well for combining the attack animations with the lower-body locomotion animations. For the full body attack animations I just set the layer weight through the player controller script based on whether the player is grounded and movement speed is zero.

• Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    I like the project, the new fight animation is really nice.
  • Bolovorix
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel thanks!
    All the animations are going to need at least another pass but its getting there. Trying to nail the "feel" before I start polishing anything.