Home Technical Talk

[Blender/Substance Designer] Some advice regarding high/low poly baking needed.

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 7
I posted a question a few days ago regarding different techniques of making a wall etc.

so I made a highpoly wall model and baked it, and Im still confused for several reasons.

firstly, I noticed the normal pattern in Blender and SD are completely opposite... which one is correct?  secondly, if in SD I just made a brick pattern normal, that pattern isn't faded/smooth but flat. is that better? 

The low poly mesh was originally 6 sides however I added a bevel as the edges looked terrible/warped. I was told a few days ago that all 90 degree angles should be seperate uv islands, however with a bevel everything is 30 degree angles, so... should that affect anything or change anything. it has a 90 degree split edge modifier already added.

also regarding the bevels, these produce a triangle in each corner, is there a particular technique you use for UV mapping them in the 'correct' way?

I unwrap everything in Blender using the conformal option, not angle based, does this affect anything regarding baking or how the edges look?

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    SD uses direcX by default. Blender uses OpenGL Not a huge deal. You can either switch SD to OGL to bake, or simply flip the green(Y) channel.

Blender/SD are both using Mikk tangent basis so you can bake fully averaged(synced) UV/smoothing splits are not necessary. The 90 degree issue doesn't make a difference as you're baking averaged.

There is no special rules for mapping chamfers. Pick one edge or the other as your seam. Whichever makes more sense for packing/texturing.

It doesn't matter what way the mesh is unwrapped. As long as you account for seam count/distortion/packing/straightened borders. Less seams the better. Tradeoff between seams and distortion. Less distortion is obviously good. Nice straightened uv island seams to eliminate aliasing and aid in a more efficient pack.

Note: all of the above are things that you eventually learn to understand from experience. The more assets you run through the process the easier it all becomes.
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 7
    SD uses direcX by default. Blender uses OpenGL Not a huge deal. You can either switch SD to OGL to bake, or simply flip the green(Y) channel.

Blender/SD are both using Mikk tangent basis so you can bake fully averaged(synced) UV/smoothing splits are not necessary. The 90 degree issue doesn't make a difference as you're baking averaged.

There is no special rules for mapping chamfers. Pick one edge or the other as your seam. Whichever makes more sense for packing/texturing.

It doesn't matter what way the mesh is unwrapped. As long as you account for seam count/distortion/packing/straightened borders. Less seams the better. Tradeoff between seams and distortion. Less distortion is obviously good. Nice straightened uv island seams to eliminate aliasing and aid in a more efficient pack.

Note: all of the above are things that you eventually learn to understand from experience. The more assets you run through the process the easier it all becomes.
    thank you.