Home Technical Talk

What are the best practises for optimizing complex objects?

Nigthmare97
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Nigthmare97 polycounter lvl 5
So I have this 27M polygon scene with mostly mechanical objects like wires and cylinders with lots of holes and I need to optimize it to run on mobile.

I'm still working on it but in most cases I feel obligated to ignore features like holes on meshes and just replace them with basic shapes.

Are there any good tutorials or techniques that could help me achieve a better result or should I just keep doing what I'm doing? The scene is due to this monday and it has 13000 objects so unwrapping and baking normals is out of the question.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Concentrate on silhouette. Delete objects that aren't going to be visible (wires etc) 

However...

given that you've left yourself with an impossible amount of work to do I'd suggest looking at an automated solution - Zbrush decimation or simplygon will do a decent job if you're not worrying about UVs and aren't looking too close. 

good luck
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    This is a great lesson for you on kitbashing for concepting Vs kitbashing for production.

You've left yourself with an impossible task to achieve manually so as poopipe advises, an auto-decimate solution might be your only option at this stage. But even that will be a nightmare if your total count is 27M.

Breaking it into manageable chunks and dynamesh/decimate might be the best way. There are probably no tutorials on this as it doesn't come up as a technique considering it's a given that a working production artist would never kitbash a 27M model intended for an in-game mobile asset with practically ZERO deadline.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, definitely break it down into as many bits as possible before decimation.  Also delete the fiddly details like spindly wires/bolts as it'll really struggle to chop those down.

Awkward/non watertight compound shapes often respond well to dynameshing before decimation.