Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Armoured Beast

null
Offline / Send Message
Ben3D null
Hey Polycount, I'm hoping to get some feedback on this sculpt I've been working on, any comments would be appreciated.

This has mainly been a lunch crunch project and I've essentially been making it up as I go along. But as it's come so far I'm planning to go all the way to a finished game model, possibly even rigged and animated.

The "lore" I've come up with for him is this species is all about the big ass horn. The more dominant the male, the more in grown and infected the horn becomes. Showing how strong they are by resisting the pain and infection. The pattern on the armour is meant to be inspired by the horn.

At this point I'm trying to get this to be as good as it possibly can be before I move on to low poly and texturing in Substance Painter.

Most of this wont be seen but I've tried to build him up in layers.

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    this is amazing!

One minor crit, i think that your armor could use a bit of "rest areas" as in, there is detail everywhere, that pattern becomes almost too much when its all over tha armor.  
  • Ben3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben3D null
    this is amazing!

One minor crit, i think that your armor could use a bit of "rest areas" as in, there is detail everywhere, that pattern becomes almost too much when its all over tha armor.  
    Thanks! I'll see I can tone it down a bit
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is awesome!
    it has a great oldschool "man in a suit" feel that reminds me of movies like the fifth element, and I mean that in a 100% good way. keep it up!
  • Ben3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben3D null
    So I've changed the armour a bit based on the feedback, definitely more interesting now. And I've made him some weapons. I think it's almost time for low poly.

• Ben3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben3D null
    Early WIP on the texturing, really just base materials. Still feel a bit lost in Substance Painter, this is my 1st big project in it.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Haha, this is really great. Makes me imagine a more family friendly version of Dark Souls monsters. I really like the mashup of sheer ridiculousness but with a realistic style. 

Few critiques/suggestive ideas :

the stitches feel like add-on stuff from substance painter. Some "holes" where they insert might make them feel more real. 

Color variation on each of the hanging leather straps might give a nice look -- though it might look too "jestery" as well. 

The border of the breastlate looks like a leather material, though I expect it to jsut be metal by the shape (doesnt look like leather is wrapped around it due to hard edges)

And,  I know you mentioned this is just base textures, but I want to mention that some color variation on the teeth will make them look more like the nasty teeth I'd expect from this beast.

• Ben3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben3D null
    Thanks! I will definitely use your suggestions, maybe even the jester one  :p
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Love this so much, hes turning out great! :)
    have you done any work on your spec/gloss maps yet? because he is looking a bit flat at the moment.
  • Gam3B0y
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gam3B0y polycounter lvl 3
    hahaaaa! I love the design soo much! 
    I love that he's dressed in kinda fancy ass knight armour. definitely awesome design! 
    also + for your own and original character ) 
  • Ben3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben3D null
    Thanks for the kind words.

I think that render was using an overly bright HDR environment in Iray which is why it looks flat. I've set up a test scene in Toolbag with some better lighting which is looking less flat. I've also been playing around with animation during my lunch as I don't have Painter on the work PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_hyLgvmY1Q
  • Ben3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben3D null
    I think he's almost done, critiques please!