Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dry Soil Material (Done)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Finnn greentooth
FINISHED <3  --->  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0XlbR4

Hey everyone,

I am working on a dry mud/soil material right now. I would really like some feedback about the height and normals.
I will also post the normal and height map here so you can have a look at it!

Really appreciate it!

Replies

• Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    >Normal and Height Map<

• Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Update on the height and normal map. I worked on the cracks to make them less uniform and also the main shapes got a little attention.

I made the cracks way more subtle and less uniform by masking them off using blending mid to high contrasted masks that I extracted from the "creased" noise with linear dode to reduce the cracks randomly. 
    In the beginning of the crack pipe...line (no drugs involved) I added slope blurs, direction warps and normal warps, all very subtle, to get away from the uniform cells look they come from. I also like to use a blurred version of a very strong slope blur and multiply it to increase the depth and width of the cracks. 
    One very important step for the cracks was the use of directional warp fed by a gradient flood fill. This way the cracks are warped by the flood fill algorithm which uses the closed shapes of my main tiles to warp the cracks according to the tiles.

I will now start to add subgraphs for dirt clumps and sand/mud to fill up the space inbetween the soil tiles. 

• Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    I wrapped this material up. I hope you guys like it. I am pretty happy with it. :)