Tomahawk

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
FancyMug polycounter lvl 4
Hello Everyone. 
I want to create a Tomahawk and I hope to get some feedback along the way :smile: All Comments and Critiques welcomed. 
I've worked on this for a little bit before posting it, but I'm not too far along so if I need to makes some changes it won't be a big deal. 

Ref:

Base Mesh
I made the handle have a little bit of a curve. I think its more visually interesting than a straight cylinder.  

Made a few modeling edits and put it in Zbrush. Still very early into the Zbrush work. 

Replies

• FancyMug
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update:
    Worked on the wood and leather straps. All C&C welcomed. 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Looking solid.  I think a  lot of this work is going to be textural quality, so get ready to kick butt then.
  • Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    Looking good so far, has a sort of hand painted feel. As brian said, texturing should be high quality for this type of weapon.
  • FancyMug
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi and @Optimus Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to texturing it. 

Update:
    I mostly worked on the blade this time, I still feel like it needs something. Did a little bit of work on the leather and handle as well. I'm gonna go for another pass with the blade to see if I can push it farther. 
    All C&C welcomed. 

• Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    Better, but the tip of the axe looks like wood, maybe add less "scratches"?
  • FancyMug
    Offline / Send Message
    @Optimus Thanks! I took out some of the smaller scratches but left the bigger ones. 

Update:
    I'm happy with the sculpt and I think I can call it done. I focused mostly on the blade but went over everything again to added an extra level of polish. All C&C welcomed. 

• Optimus
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimus triangle
    Almost there, i'd suggest adding more of a leathery look to the straps. Also, the engravings are a little too sharp/rough. Make it look like it is blended with the wood, kind of like in this photo:
    \
  • FancyMug
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: I got some good critiques on the leather wraps, so I mostly focused on that this pass. I took out a lot of the waviness and I pulled the edges up. I also added some damage. I'll probably work on it a little bit more but I think it looks a lot better. 

• FancyMug
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: 
    I got rid of that top leather part next to the blade. (Got some feedback where they said it looks like its floating on top, I agreed) I've reworked the leather a little bit more and I blended the wood designs with the wood. I think I can call the sculpt done now. (Hopefully) All C&C welcomed. Thanks

• BIGTIMEMASTER
    Online / Send Message
    BIGTIMEMASTER greentooth
    The wood and leather is beautiful, but your metal axehead appears to be made from wood. I'd study lots of photos of axes to get a better idea of what worn metal looks like. I wouldn't bother trying to sculpt rust pitting as that can be done much easier with textures. 

Steel is pretty durable. You can see here what a chipped edge looks like. It might not look like much, but a small chip like that makes a big effect on the tools effectiveness and cannot easily be remedied.
    Image result for chipped axe

A very worn hatchet. Rusted and the edge is very chipped. I'd guess that most of this kind of detail would best come from textures. Only silhouette changing detail -- like the chipped edge -- is something that requires sculpting.
    Image result for chipped axe
    A very old axe. As you can see, little damage is actually done to the shape of the metal, though heavy wear on the finish definitely informs you this thing is old. 
    Image result for used axe
  • Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson Polycount Sponsor
    Something else to keep in mind is how the axe head is held on.

Many tomahawks will have a tapered wooden handle, fattest up by the axe head, skinniest down at the end of the handle, so as you swing, the head only gets tighter.

In the case of yours, it seems more likely that it would be wedged. This is done by carving the top of the handle to fit the axe head, and inserting a wedge (of either wood or metal), to keep the handle tight in the head of the axe, and stop it from flying off in use.

Something like these:

Wooden wedge:

Metal Wedge: