Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Ilaria (illy)

null
Hello all!
I'm Ilaria (you can also call me illy) and I'm a 3D artist mainly making environments & props. I'll be sharing a lot of WIP pics here and more experimental & personal work.
Essentially, this will be a place for progress and growth. C&C are welcome!

Portfolio here:  www.ilariayoukhanaart.com

Replies

• illyYoukhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illyYoukhi null
    Hey all!
    I wanted to do a style study and I really like the way Steven Sugar draws trees. So I wanted to adapt that into 3D and gathered reference.

Then I created a fairly low poly model and wanted the detail to come from the texture. I messed around a bit with changing the silhouette so there was more variation in the trunk with extrusions for sections but I couldn't get it to look decent (it was affecting the readability and topology in a way I didn't like so I ditched it.)

So with that I've slowly been working on the texture and had to adapt the style and tweak it a little bit (due to a lack of detail). I hit a roadblock a while back and then couldn't focus on this for a while (due to work etc.) but I've figured out how to progress and improve the texture and make it look more tree-like. There's a few thing I want to tweak like the line thickness and the colours (they came up more cooler than I wanted due to the yellow/orange filter on my computer.)

I've already spent more time on this than I wanted but I really wanted to mess around with a different style and keep things relatively simple.
  • illyYoukhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illyYoukhi null
    Originally I made this model for the style study but realised I was putting in too much work for what can be achieved with something smaller. I do want to come back to this mode and polish up the topology and create some textures for it. I'll most likely make it part of a bigger scene too.
  • illyYoukhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illyYoukhi null
    Here is the finished trunk!

and a progress gif

• illyYoukhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illyYoukhi null
    Hey all, been chipping away at a weekend project - making a character for an environment I'm working on.
    The goal here is to:
    1. Work on character modelling and texturing as it's something I am a little rusty on.
    2. Potentially rig and create some animations for this little fella!
    3. Test out an artstyle/use the character as a point of reference for the style of the environment. 
    Here is the progress shots:

Colour Concepts (Most likely going to go with 2.)

Rough orthographics. Basically using these to block out the silhouette in 3D then making adjustments from there.

WIP shots:

Here is where I got to last night. Going to tweak the hood and work on the face a little more. From there I'll start building the fur collar properly (still deciding if I want to go with the shell method or stick with planes.) I've also UV mapped the completed models so I'll be setting the layout up next and then start texturing. 
  • illyYoukhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illyYoukhi null
    Let me dust off this account.
    Hey all, I've been chipping away at this character - finished off the model and unwrap.

(I am missing the little tie part under the orb in this screenshot)

Next steps are: 
    • Rig! Got to get this little fella moving :D
    • Texturing - still in the process of deciding if I want to brush up on my Substance skills and use the new version or if I should fall back to methods I know well (Hopefully the former - I do want to try something different here, for me).
    • Import into Unity.
    I also did some experimentation with the fur on the collar - while I did like the results and felt that I was getting somewhere with the shell method, I realised that due to the location of the camera (that I'll be using for the environment) this wasn't the most optimal texturing process.

• illyYoukhi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illyYoukhi null
    I created a simple greybox months ago and have slowly been chipping away at it. This environment is inspired by pikmin - the way characters are smaller than the environment but at a minuscule scale.
    Here is some of the iterations:

Paintover and the changes following: 

(Forgot to keep the shadow layer on so here's what I want to the lighting to look like in the final product)