Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Blaster Pistol

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Simon_____ polycounter lvl 5
just started work on the textures for a new model i've been working on, i was wondering if i could get some feedback on the textures as something feels wrong about them and i cant put my finger on it, so a fresh pair of eyes would be great - the engraved grip material is not close to being done as i cant find a good a good look for them, any suggestions there would also be greatly appreciated 

marmoset

subsatnce 

Replies

• Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    I've got a couple critiques/ideas.

First off, I super dig the black metal that is applied to the grip of this. It's sweet. I also think the base material you've got going on your engraved grip is really solid. I know you said you're still working on it, but I'd certainly love to see this project as a whole progress!

I think one of the reasons the textures look off is the cleanliness of them. You've got wear on the grip/receiver, but none at all on this brushed metal. Maybe try painting some dirt/adding grunge to these pieces and see how it looks. I also think that, given the scratched metal material on the grip/receiver, there should be some more wear on those parts, as well as sprinkled across the rest of the gun. 

Another critique I'll offer is about where the actual materials are applied. It seems that your magazine, trigger, trigger guard, and grip all have the same material applied to them. This is a total artistic choice, but I would personally try to vary it a bit.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is this like a Star Wars blaster pistol?
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zalek4 thanks for the critiques, i will work on dirtying up the brushed metal sections and add some roughness variation too, im still not sure about the engraved grip, im happy with the actual normal of it but it doesnt feel like it fits the gun if that makes sense? im not sure what i can do to sort that? i might try it with a wood grip to see if it looks better 

i always want to do a progress thread on all my models but it normally takes me about 3-4 hours to start off as im never happy with the inital stage then once thats done i blast through the model step without realizing and by that point it doesnt seem worth it until the texturing stage as thats the part i feel like im worst at 

@Brian "Panda" Choi based off one yes 
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have also done some very quick mock ups of different materials for the grip, the first on is based on this weapon from star wars, and the second one will be the classic wood style grip  

i think the white plastic grip is quite nice contrast to break up the metal, but if i do this one i will need to find a way to make the engraving pop a bit or maybe subtle is better?  

• Zalek4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zalek4 polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah you were right, both of those new grip iterations are better than the first one. I really like the wood one, it seems to define the engraving more.
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got the grip to a place im happy with for now, i'll probably tone down the yellowing a bit, i'll now work on adding some dirt and surface details to the brushed metal barrel  
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

a little update, i put it in marmoset to see if it looks any better compared to the first version