Home Unreal Engine

Speedtree and LODs issue in UE4

jordank95
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys -

I have a few trees that I have made in Speedtree. They all import fine into UE4, and in the static mesh preview window if I zoom in/out the LODs work like they should. My issue is, I need to adjust these LODs, mainly the LOD3 which is the billboard. It's billboarding too early.

I can't find where to change this in UE4. Its only showing me LOD0 in the details of the static mesh. I dont have options for LOD1-3. Im just a bit confused how to adjust this. It seems like its more of a process than I think it should be.

Thanks

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    There is a checkbox in the static mesh editor called "automatic lod distance". Disable that and then you can manually set the lod screen sizes. Also, keep in mind that different lightmap uvs per LOD isn't supported in unreal, so billboard as last LOD only with with fully dynamic lighting.
  • jordank95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordank95 polycounter lvl 8
    Obscura said:
    There is a checkbox in the static mesh editor called "automatic lod distance". Disable that and then you can manually set the lod screen sizes. Also, keep in mind that different lightmap uvs per LOD isn't supported in unreal, so billboard as last LOD only with with fully dynamic lighting.
    Ah, i should have mentioned this. The Auto LOD Distance checkbox is already un-checked for me by default. Not sure if this is something Speedtree is doing now by default when you import your trees or what. But Im still only seeing LOD0 in the details panel and not sure how/where to access the other LODs.

edit: also, under LOD Picker, its set to LOD Auto. It wont let me select any of the other LODs in that drop down.

edit #2: Figured it out! For anyone running into the same issue. I had to manually type in the amount of LODs I had in LOD Settings (4 in my case), then hit apply. Then in LOD Picker I had to select the "custom" checkbox. Then all my LODs were displayed and I could adjust things where I needed to.