Home General Discussion

Foundry's Kanova, digital sculpting with VR support.

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dataday polycounter lvl 8
Do you remember when the Foundry got a hold of the rights to use ADF after acquiring Mischief?

Well now it looks like the ADF tech they acquired is starting to take form with a sculpting application they call "Kanova".

There have also been a number of webinars showing the progress towards a version 1 release.

(July 6th, 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYXeqEOAHKk

At the moment, Kanova is FREE on Steam as an Early Access title.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/730550/Kanova/

Let's see where this goes.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the thing is also Kanova has the issue all VR sculpting apps have. Its ten times harder to get a clean non blobby surface... in case of pointcloud data its even harder... its fun but i dont think its the future of production sculpting...
    second issue is you have to work with your whole body... its hard training to sculpt in VR for 8h... hahhaha...

but i like the idea behind and more sculpting apps means more competition...
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I hear ya, I don't think they are expecting the VR aspect to be the primary sculpting method. In the webinar, Greg Brown was pulling out the form in VR and then hopped on over to the desktop with a wacom to do the rest. Not that this is an ideal workflow, but it shows the range in usage.

I imagine the VR can mostly be done for some look dev, and who knows, maybe kit bashing. The rest will probably be desktop based though.

I'm with you though, more competition for this particular market is good.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    VR could be useful for modeling if it included realistic human interaction.

For example, imagine shrinking down inside an environment and punching a car. The model would leave behind dents that look as if they came from a real fist. Or if you carried around a bucket of water or dirt, and threw it at stuff. That would give you your roughness, instead of having to manually paint wetness or grunge.

Basically, the next step forward should be making VR feel artist driven, instead of transferring the technical details we're already use to doing in 3D modeling programs.