Sketchbook: RMO

rmo
node
Offline / Send Message
rmo node
Hi, my real name is Guillermo, but my designer brand name is RMO, im a graphic designer with a interest in 3d modeling, and animating, at first i was trying to incorporate 3d modeling to my work never realizing how much work is needed. so after lurking for a while i think i need real critiques, so feel free to drop some knowledge and advice if you have the chance. 

Replies

• rmo
    Offline / Send Message
    rmo node
    so, this is a personal project ive been working on this week, i still need some progress modeling some skin folds and texturing with some alphas before i try to retopo everything in maya. 
    any CC is welcome.
  • rmo
    Offline / Send Message
    rmo node
    wendigo head/skull closeup

Lower back and claws closeup 

the only things in the sculpt that are treated with alphas are the skull, teeth and antlers/horns, i still need to do detailing passes on flesh, guts, bones and skin.

im still unsure how im going to do the shaggy hair in the back and neck, what i really mean is im still unsure where im going to render the final images, the usual renders in marmoset or learn how to use vray in maya and wait a billion hours for a nice render with passes.
  • rmo
    Offline / Send Message
    rmo node
    A little update on skin, bone and flesh detailing, i think im done with the last stage of the sculpt before starting the retopology in maya, i guess if im putting the effort to finish this organic practice until i have a real portfolio piece, this means im going to need to make hd materials in substance designer and painter, then its off to vray.

• rmo
    Offline / Send Message
    rmo node
    i hate retopology, so i took my time with this one, i wanted to learn about topology for animation, and loop placement and stuff... uvs next

• Eric Chadwick
    Hey neat piece. This makes me think of the bear in the movie Annihilation, worth a watch if you haven't already.

Movie spoilers!

• rmo
    Offline / Send Message
    rmo node
    Hey, thanks, i haven't seen that video, so ima get a up of coffee and get to watching, thanks for the link.
    that bear is awesomely sculpted, i have several pics in my pureref file.
  • rmo
    Offline / Send Message
    rmo node
    so, i was thinking about my workflow when i was baking because i wanted to do something so insert some detailing before the painting process, sometimes i go to youtube and chromecast some tutorials or substance videos, in one of the videos in the playlist the designer mentioned something about baking in substance designer because you could modify the normals and bake maps from that map with out high poly, so i had to jump on in, i baked my normals and got them to substance designer to tweek the details and the jazz, turned out my maps look nice on my model, cant wait to start painting in substance painter.

• rmo
    Offline / Send Message
    rmo node
    so, did a first run at painting the model in substance painter, got the model to maya and set up a lighting scheme to render out a first image. heres a look at the diffuse map first pass and a render i got form vray.