Home Technical Talk

[Zbrush] - Dynamesh to Zremesher problem

obloquy
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
obloquy polycounter lvl 5

Hey, I’m still very much a newbie to zbrush but I just wanted some clarification with the Dynamesh to Zrremesh process during the early stages of a sculpt.

I’ve started my sculpt using dynamesh to get the rough shapes (1). I created eyelids extracts from the eyeball subtool as shown in this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rtl8bfh7i90&t=3s. The general thing ive read (correct me if i’m not using the best method) is once your basic forms are there using dynamesh, use Zremesher and then subdivide the model to add more forms and details onto a cleaner topology.

I’ve tried using this method and Zremesher sort of simplifies the model around the eyes heavily (2). Dividing helps but the forms are lost. My question, is there any way to protect these areas in the zremeshing process? 

Many thanks :)

Replies

• sibiu2142
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sibiu2142 polycounter lvl 2
    A good way for Zremesher to maintain shapes, is to create a Polygroups with SliceCurve ( it creates polygroup on slice ),  or with mask brush (after u mask hit Ctrl+W to create a polygroup from masked area).

So, create a polygroup right on the edge of the eyelids, like a contour on both eyes, and before you Zremesh, press the buttons " Keep Groups"  and " Adaptive ", both buttons active, this way zremesher will be forced to keep the groups, and will maintain the edge better. Make sure you have enough thickness on the eyelids to perform Zremesh action.

Besides those two buttons" keeps groups and adaptive", you can also try and activate " FreezeBorder " button, this will force Zremesher to maintain the vertex position in place, yet this option might crash Zremesher sometimes.

If with all those options still not hold the details u wanted, in the Zremesher window you have a button called polypaint, use standard brush with RGB on, turn off Zadd and Zsub, and chose white color.Fill the object from top menu > color > fill object, with white, then in the zremesher window, drag the slider next to polypaint button> called " color density ", drag slider to 4 and paint with red around eyes. Zremesh will then give a lot more topology over the painted area, which can also help with eyelids.

To see Polygroups on the mesh press Shift+F,  to use SliceCurve hold CTRL+SHIFT and click on the brush icon to chose the brush. For masking hold CTRL and click the brush icon for mask brushes.

If you created  jagged edge polygroups, before you hit Zremesh, you can clean polygroups in Deformation tab > Polish by groups and Polish by features. Next to each option there is a small circle, try with that circle ON and Off, to see which option cleans the best.

Another way but less precise to keep the shape of the eyelids is to exaggerate the edge, make it very sharp with DamStandard brush" in Zadd mode", bring the edge out more, then Zremesh. Make sure you have enough thickness on the eyelids to perform Zremesh action.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

For the Subdivide problem, if the mesh is way to low poly it might lose form on subdivide, a fix for that would be with Zmodeler brush, which can crease the edge loop around the eyelids and maintain the edge when u subdivide. U might need to watch some Zclassroom tutorials if u don't know how to use Zmodeler.

Another way would be to crease the whole mesh before u subdivide, under Geometry tab you have > Crease  > Crease all . After you subdivided you can do a small  " Polish by features " in deformation tab to clean the faceted look. After you finish hit " UnCreaseAll" under geometry > crease> so u can continue with ur sculpt.

You can also do some research and try Zproject brush. Before you Zremesh your mesh, duplicate the original dynamesh sculpt,  then Zremesh the duplicate, after zremesh subdivide as need it, Then you can use Zproject brush on the zremeshed model to bring out details from the other mesh" original dynamesh sculpt", may work or not for eyelids area.

All the methods mentioned above works great for both hardsurface and organic shapes.

ps. Excuse my english :blush: