Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArtStation Challenge Raw and Brutal Critic please (I'm looking to improve )

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Edwinter polycounter lvl 2
Material:
Whole entry:
https://www.artstation.com/contests/wild-west/challenges/43/submissions/30570

Final result:
model
Hi, guys so after seeing my last work over the art station challenge "Wild West" I see myself as a noob when we talk about marvelous this field really took me a lot of time and leave me timeless for the final entry so first of all, I know my presentation quality is below decent.
Next one I wanna ask for your own point of view on how to improve.

-What kind of references do you gather when it comes to a nice presentation?
Over the technical stuff:

-How can I Improve my hair cards technique cuz over the viewport of sketchfab and I think over marmoset aswell I won't be able to see a radical graphics improvement and make it look like this super insane photorealistic ones you see is made for Unreal.

-Pose:
When it comes to possing you are looking to make a dynamic or more like a storytelling pose? or maybe both.

Background:
When it comes to the background Most of the times I stick to a black or 50% grey to keep my eye neutral to lightning but once I finish that and I wanna pop up the character I know the background will make a big difference so how do you pick the best one once you finish? do you make some kind of color scrip or something?

And finally, I just have this doubt about ArtStation contest:
what happens if you don't make it at the end and you need to quit? does this affect to your profile? Will it show you are a quitter instead of a keeper? is a good or bad thing?

Any other kind of comment is super welcome and if you don't like the pice let me know why.
PS: Feel free to comment I won't cry about the brutality of your comments ( I have my napkin near to me just in case a little of ouch came out)

THANK YOU SO MUCH  for taking your time and guide me over this 3D art journey I'm having <3