Home Technical Talk

Normal Map work with the low (and his several meshes), but after collapse all, it broke.

Willog
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Willog polycounter lvl 2
Hi all. 

I have a little problem with my meshes :

-First of all I do my low, my high and I bake this on substance designer/painter.
-After this I come back on 3dsmax and I duplicate the parts of the meshe who need to be duplicate(like the drawer)
-Finally, I collapse all of the meshes (I tried without collapsed on 3dsmax and do this on UE4 during the import, it was not work).

And here is my problem. The baking is good, all is ok everywere with my lowpoly and his several meshes, but when I collapse it, there's some strange shading problem. I discover a little solution ; turn the hidden edge where there's a problem and it work, but only on marmoset or substance ; not on UE4. But the hidden edges at the place of the problem are the same than the lowpoly... so why? and how resolve this on UE4?

And the most strange is that the problem is not recurrent. Somes meshes work great even collapse.

Someone have an idea?

Tanks :).

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    First assumption, it might be a triangulation issue. You should always triangulate upon exporting because different softwares tends to understand polygons differently and they tend to triangulate differently which directly affects your baked normal. You should show the error, or try this and see if it helps. If it doesn't, show the error.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Nevermind, I see now, its the "X" in the shading error. Yes, thats because of the lack of triangulation before baking. Make sure the meshes has the same triangulation in the engine as what was used during baking.
  • Willog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Willog polycounter lvl 2
    Ok it's working  :D

Thanks for your response and your help :).

I triangulated the mesh before the export (and I don't use only the triangulate export option) and all is ok :)