Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Time In ZBrush Self Portrait

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Dezmond polycounter lvl 3
Hey,

This is my first ZBrush project. I made it right after watching most of Lynda.com's essential tutorials. I've sculpted in Mudbox and sculptis before, but I saw the price of Zbrush Core, so I downloaded ZBrush Trial to see if I want to buy it.

I tried to use basic brushes and kept my poly count low to simulate how I think ZBrush Core would be, but to be honest after a point I didn't know how to add more detail. I knew it was still cartoony, but I didn't know how to take it over the edge. I like the stylized look, but I would like some advise with going further with a face model like this.

Rendered with the iRay in Substance Painter

A older Selfie. To create the portrait I used a mirror.

Creating likeness is one of my weeknesses, so tell me how well I did there please.
Here's a view of prior attempts.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It helps if you use a neutral expression for the reference so you know which folds and muscles are exactly stressed.  Soemthing tells me your nasiolabial fold is off.

have you tried separating your hair into a different subtool to achieve a cleaner look? Also for the eyeballs.

The outer edge of the eyes are not terminating properly.  we should be able to draw an almond shape based on the internal silhouette, but yours jsut kind of trails off into the rest of the face.  same fade out issue with the lips.  Bottom of the nose loses that spherical shape that I see in your profile photo.

Overall, I wouldn't right now try to focus on likenesses, but just make planar faces till you're comfortable with the general forms of the face (the Asaro planar head is good for this). Your previous portaits from various challenges and elsewhere have definitely shown you'ev gotten better, but I think it'll be more helpful if you take your time to zero in on bits and pieces with singular pieces to get a better handle on human heads.  If you want to spend that time, that is.