Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Waking up - Lab Experiment Diorama

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
LukasG polycounter lvl 2
Hey, everyone
Hope you all doing well.
It's been a bit of time since the last time I posted anything up. Well, I decided to start a little project.
It's about a creature that has been grown in the lab but something went wrong and the creature awakens. Upon the awakening the creature emits a shriek that breaks the glass letting the fluids spill from the container. That is the moment I'm trying to capture in the scene. I'm rendering it in UE4 and making it with 3ds max/zbrush and substance designer/painter mostly.

So this is what I've got so far.

Here is some first block out and a quick overdraw to get the ball rolling.
Afterwards I decided that I needed to make it a bit more complex. I wanted to have heavy machinery so it would feel more complex and would add weight to the overall scene. (I wanted to do some more complicated hard surface stuff as well :smile: )

I think some of the stuff will still change along the way, but I feel like this was a step in the right direction for now.

Here is how the lovely underdeveloped monster is looking like right now. It's still not finished and needs more details to be added, like nails?
Here's the most up to date image of the models.

Any feedback is always appreciatted. If anyone knows any good techniques on how to make water using 3ds or zbrush that would be very helpful.
I was thinking of sculpting the main water base mesh and adding some water opacity planes splattering through the hole. (First thoughts on it)

Thanks for having a look, I'll try and update the progress soon.

Replies

• LukasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukasG polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys, me again.
    Decided to do a quick update.
    I'm almost finished with the block out so I decided to do a first light pass in the engine. This is what I have so far.

• LukasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukasG polycounter lvl 2
    Heyo,
    I have been a bit busy lately so I haven't worked on the project that much. I still did when I found an hour here and there. Managed to unwrap most of it and went through with the first textures pass and second lighting pass. This is what I've got so far.
    I have a bunch of things I want to change. Right now the textures need some rework on the incubator. I will be adding water splashing to the sides as well. I like the lights and colours so far but If you think I can improve it in any way I'd loved to hear it. I'll be working on it for the next couple of days so hopefully you'll hear from me soon. Stay tuned.

• LukasG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LukasG polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys :smiley:
    I haven't written in awhile but basically I remade some models since I did not like the shape or the actual structure of it and did another lighting pass. I'm quite happy with the lights so far. Still need some adjustments for the really dark parts but I'll get to it. Besides the lighting I still have a few more texture tweaks to do and maybe an extra model for the screen. We will see. I still feel that the power source at the back is quite weird and not really cool. I might remake the bottom bit of the heavy machine :/ have it a bit more flat maybe.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve it from composition/color or just design I would love to hear it. Thanks for having a look.