Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review (Character Artist)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
goldenarms polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone.
I am back on the job hunt again and I would like to start to spice up my portfolio. I'd love to get some feedback on what I should remove and what I should be adding/fixing. Any critiques are welcome.
https://www.artstation.com/davearscott

Thanks so much.
-Dave

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I would get rid of the following:
    • Gunner - the anatomy is not great, and the piece is not finished
    • Humpback whale - It's just a sculpt and I don't think it's as strong as other pieces
    • Climber - only the images with the snow, I can kinda tell the snow was rushed as it doesn't look like how snow would rest on a character, all of the other images are good though.
    • Arthur Shelby Likeness - It's not bad by itself but when I compare it to images of the person there are a lot of little nuances missing, if you're willing to do some extra work on the face it could be good otherwise I would just remove it.
    • The second image on the Sculpting page - it is clearly weaker than the rest

I would like to see more wires and texture layouts (if allowed for projects) it will better give me an idea how your stuff works for games. I would be especially interested in the wires/textures for Dinotaur if it's not a sculpt as I think it's the most interesting piece you have. If it is I think it kind of speaks to your portfolio problem if you want to pursue games:
    To many sculpts, not enough game art or game art breakdowns. I think you have good stuff, but you aren't showing me you are interested in the entire process so you would probably be passed over for someone who is.

I'm also not sold on your material definition for a lot of your pieces, they are all good starts but you rush the final wear and details or just don't get around to that. The Climber is an example where you rushed the snow material, but everything underneath looks good (though everything does have a bit of a similar shine) and the Elf is a good example where the materials have a good start but are a little too pristine so the character looks like it doesn't have history. The Stormer Outfit suffers from everything having about the same level of shininess so materials all read very similar. Back to the Dinotaur, everything has kind of the same matte look, with exception of a few metallic glints, even if it's just a sculpt the materials can be pushed.

I think you're on the right track, you just have to finish your work, show some more breakdowns and make sure you push your materials more. Best of luck!
  • goldenarms
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goldenarms polycounter lvl 5
    Alemja,

Thanks so much for taking the time for such detailed feedback, I appreciate it. All valid points. The whale and Dinotaur are both properly modelled and unwrapped. I will add some wires and texture detail to those. I might take away some of the weaker pieces as well. Again, thanks for the feedback. I will work more on the materials.
    Cheers!
    Dave