Home Career & Education

Character Art Games course, What do you want to know?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
sparrow polycounter lvl 11
Hi All.

My Name is Ashley Sparling and I am a senior character artist at Ubisoft, I am currently working on assassin's creed odyssey.

I am looking to put together and Online course, but Instead of me juts putting something together I want to find out what you would like?
If you have a spare 2 minuets could you do this survey. You will be my best friend forever :) 

It will really help me pin point the problem that people have when creating characters. 

Thanks In advance

https://ashleysparling.typeform.com/to/M8t6IN  

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    As a senior aren't you aware of what a proper character development pipeline should be and where most pitfalls are ?
    Also your survey is poorly done , cant really see any useful information coming out of it
    If I ware you I would put more time into improving and not in trying to make fast buck just because you are currently working on assassin's creed

• sparrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, of course i know what is involved in a character art pipline and i have been teaching for 2 years, my point in doing this survey is to find out what elements people want to see more of. I have worked more than AC and i am not advertising on the back of it. As a person that has completed many courses in the past I always validate it based on what the teacher has previously worked on.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    As a senior aren't you aware of what a proper character development pipeline should be and where most pitfalls are ?
    Also your survey is poorly done , cant really see any useful information coming out of it
    If I ware you I would put more time into improving and not in trying to make fast buck just because you are currently working on assassin's creed

wow, what a horrible attitude to have. Someone with a senior level skillset offers to pretty much custom create a course to help people with their sticking points, and all you have to offer is "get better" and stop trying to make money. ouch.

first off, someone with a high level skillset like a senior character artist isn't trying to make a quick buck because they work on assasins creed. They are giving up their spare time to teach others the skills they have spent years developing, and providing a ton of value, while providing context to why what they have to teach is actually relevant. and also probably helping cut junior's learning curves dramatically. heaven forbid they should expect to be compensated for their effort.

I know a lot of super senior people that actually have a hard time teaching because they have been doing it so long that it's hard to remember your initial sticking points and explain them because the process is just natural to them now. Look at someone like raphael lacoste doing a live demo or tutorial, hes always like, oh just insert this mountain and boom it looks awesome, while beginner artists are left scratching their head as to the how and the why. Asking for sticking points and specific problem areas that people struggle with is super smart because it tells Sparrow where to spend most of the time of the actual course/tutorial. 

I could go on and on but meh. An interesting example of 2 totally different mindsets above, personally I'll root for the person actually trying to provide value. So while character art isn't really relevant to me personally, I'm a big supporter of the online teaching economy that has bloomed over the last few years and is making the old way of paying 20k a year for some shite art school and sham diploma go the way of the dinosaur.

Sparrow: Just make it the best course you can possibly deliver, give away a bunch free copies to get the word of mouth and some solid reviews and testimonials and then crank as much of your budget into instagram influencer ads and fb ads as you can to scale it up quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if for every dollar of adspend you do, you make 3-5 back. That would be my advice from a marketing perspective. rock on :)
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    @sparrow I've been procrastinating for while now as to whether I should extract the digit and finaly learn some organic stuff, anyways I think for me at least your proposed course might be just the ticket/remedy.
  • sparrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PixelMasher Thank you for our thoughts, it dose mean a lot, I have already started to put out free mini tutorials for tips and tricks on Youtube and doing live streams as well so people can come and ask questions. Its something I would like to still continue doing :)

@sacboi Thank you for your message.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    As someone who self evaluates as a lower-mid tier Character Artist atm, I'll say in general I would hope a course taught by a senior would zero in on what I'd describe as technologically specific and esoteric tasks within a character art pipeline.  

To me that ranges from high poly modeling methods for specific problems (that can hopefully be extrapolated) to how to do hair.  A lot of the rhetorical question for me involve "how do you maximize the use of Xgen" or "how do you use this rendered for this ONE task in the pipe?" or "how do you understand the rendering method of this game engine to juice the most out of the framework of this rendering method?"

My assumption comes from this idea that with those learned, it's just a matter of using those specific methodologies in an existing pipeline that a not-absolutely new artist could use.

Understandably, if it's an absolutely new artist, back to basics.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Anybody can teach, but to be a good teacher -- that's something special. Like anything else, you have to really care about what you are doing, and strive to be the best at it. I think OP asking their prospective students what challenges them is a sign that OP is serious about becoming a great teacher. Sometimes the way people do things annoys me, but there's no reason to make enemies for no good reason.

Some teachers are better than others, but regardless of how well any teacher speaks to me, I have a lot of gratitude and respect for all of the people who have, for profit or otherwise, made it possible for me to learn this awesome art/profession sitting at home and not even spending enough money to get my wife complaining about it. 

Anyway, to the topic question, the main thing I look for in tutorials is that the author spends more time up front explaining what they are going to do and why. The actual doing -- that is just clicking keys ( though, I appreciate it if they callout the hotkeys just for repetition = memorization). But  what so many tutorials do is they say very briefly, "Ok, i am going to make a _____," and then they just narrate what they are clicking, but you don't understand how the steps they are doing in the beginning relate to the final product 15 hours later. So if you just make a tutorial that covers your typical character creation pipeline, but you really break it down in a super succinct outline, and at the beginning of each section you explain in detail what you are going to do, why you are doing it, why the steps now are important to whats going to happen later... then you aren't just showing me how to move around in a 3d app, but you are teaching me the way you think and solve problems. 

I am not in a position to be making tutorials myself, but if I was, I would try to explain how the planning I am doing before I begin blockout happens. I would explain before I even start modeling how I want to create a topology that will make UV'ing quick and easy later. There is a balance between explaining too much and too little, and that is where a well thought out outline comes into play, but the great thing about videos is you can always pause and watch them again. So info overload probably isn't a huge problem as much as not enogh info to explain the important planning going on.

If you are able to check out Georgian Avasilcutei's gumroad tutorials, I think he does a pretty good job of taking time upfront to explain the reasoning behind his methodologies. Being a less than one year beginner though, I'd appreciate some tutorials like his that were not time-lapsed, so that I can more easily understand things he is doing if its completely new to me. For instance, I am not well-versed in photoshop, so when he is working with complex layers to make some mask, it's almost impossible for me to follow along and learn what he's doing there at the low level. In the end I understand what is possible, but I have to go somewhere else to actually learn the tools to go back and mimic him.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I had Ashely as a teacher and I can only say good things about him. He knows the pipeline, he teaches it and he takes time for feedback - within and outside of the course. Also his feedback is on point and clear not just some ramblings. So I doubt that he is asking about the basics of what a course should look like to make some quick bucks...

On the other hand if you have done one of these character courses you see that there are a lot of different levels the students have and a lot of different interests (some want to focus on hair some on hard surface, most want to focus on everything within those 8-10 weeks XD ). There is a very legitimate reason to ask what people want most - especially before starting - to adjust the schedule. Since most of the teachers are working in AAA-studios they don't always have the time to create a whole project from scretch while doing the course, so preparations are necessary.

Personally my biggest issues with those courses was the level of the students since far too many beginners take those expensive courses while still learning the absolute basics, making it hard to adjust the content to the different needs. The beginners can't keep pace and advanced students might not get to see advanced techniques. Besides that I don't think anything special is needed. I am extremely satisfied with Adam Skutt's course since it showed all high end techniques used in game production and since his videos can be re-watched anytime, students can also come back to them later on and re-visit the methods they catched up with. Also having an hour each week showing techniques and the other 1-2 hours doing critiques is a good balance. I think by far the most individual value anyhow comes from the feedback the students get. You can find tutorials online for nearly everything showed in those courses (often even for free), but having an experienced teacher looking over it, help you identify your issues and guide you towards how to improve makes the huge difference as it helps you develop an eye for things.

I also think that the typical course should focus on the whole pipeline - most people don't even know what they don't know and I have yet to see a student that didn't need to improve on every step of it. Within those typical 10 weeks you can get through the whole pipeline in enough detail that the students still get more information out of it than they can handle in such a short timeframe. More specific or detailed techniques like hair might rather require a course of their own, but honestly, looking back at Skutt's course I still have to learn from all the things he packed into it within those 10 sessions.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have nothing personal against Ashley  , I don't know him , the only thing I have to make my first impression is his portfolio and frankly I am not impressed -> dull and boring character ,lacking facial anatomy [Looks like you are specializing in to cloths I am assuming this is what you doing most of the time . cloths and assessors not full characters so why not make tutorial about that ] .I am just sick and tired of wasting time and money for tutorials and books which are complete waste so don't just do what everyone is doing some mediocre tutorial just because is fashionable right now or because it could be a good passive income
    +1 to what @BIGTIMEMASTER is saying , this is the other thing that is kind of prevalent in most tutorials especially from more famous artist , talking about random stuff instead of explaining the process in details 

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    To each their own, but with Ashley's feedback I actually created a portfolio piece that got me interviews that led to the final round with an AAA studio and an offer from another one.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Wow! Speechless....

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    To each their own, but with Ashley's feedback I actually created a portfolio piece that got me interviews that led to the final round with an AAA studio and an offer from another one.
    Congraz I am happy for you , with such results I sure be the first to by Ashley's future tutorials

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @carvuliero , are you familiar with the american politician Dick Cheney? He was infamous a few years back for shooting a person while hunting. This is actually a pretty common occurrence, and the reason many hunters wear bright orange -- to avoid being mistakenly shot by other hunters.

You might wonder, why would somebody shoot a rifle at something if you they aren't sure what it is? Wouldn't that kind of make them seem like a dumbass? I mean, just because you are in the woods and a bush shakes and you hear a noise, is that enouugh info to warrant blasting it with a high powered rifle? I suppose you can defend anything, but I'd say somebody who shoots without fully knowing what they are shooting at isn't going to convince me that they're a genius. 
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @carvuliero , are you familiar with the american politician Dick Cheney? He was infamous a few years back for shooting a person while hunting. This is actually a pretty common occurrence, and the reason many hunters wear bright orange -- to avoid being mistakenly shot by other hunters.

You might wonder, why would somebody shoot a rifle at something if you they aren't sure what it is? Wouldn't that kind of make them seem like a dumbass? I mean, just because you are in the woods and a bush shakes and you hear a noise, is that enouugh info to warrant blasting it with a high powered rifle? I suppose you can defend anything, but I'd say somebody who shoots without fully knowing what they are shooting at isn't going to convince me that they're a genius. 

Interesting, but what does this have to do with what @carvuliero said?

@sparrow - Good suggestions here, one thing I would make sure is that students come out of the course with a ready character to game industry standards (like game art institute).
         Also if you could talk about your experience at your current studio, and about what they expect in a character artist, would be a plus.
       For my experience, and looking at other tutorials, ultimately knowing the technique is one thing, then its just practice and how quickly you eye gets trained to capturing silhouette and details. 
       Many students may come out of these courses with characters, but probably not with the fundamentals that help them tackle different types and shapes with sufficient speed. I think its important to emphasise this.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit talking = shooting at someone

quick glance at OP's artstation (artstation may or may not be this persons up to date professional portfolio)= not knowing what the target really is

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you are sloppy with your work you cant blame people who try to point that out in hope to help you
    Actually I have 3 point method to decide will I but something and checking author portfolio is kind of important don't you think
    so here is it someone might find if useful who knows :
    - if is tutorial[unfortunately for books is kind of hard  to do this steps ] end product is the most important nobody will care if you can and you know but can't deliver
    -second is author portfolio and previous work ,expertise and so on
    - and finally is reviews and testimonials

• CrackRockSteady
    If you are sloppy with your work you cant blame people who try to point that out in hope to help you
    Actually I have 3 point method to decide will I but something and checking author portfolio is kind of important don't you think
    so here is it someone might find if useful who knows :
    - if is tutorial[unfortunately for books is kind of hard  to do this steps ] end product is the most important nobody will care if you can and you know but can't deliver
    -second is author portfolio and previous work ,expertise and so on
    - and finally is reviews and testimonials

Maybe consider those 3 points when you are deciding whether to purchase tutorial content instead of shitposting in the OP's thread?  Just a thought.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the end of the day is my personal opinion right and I not sure why you guys get so aggressive about it , if you don't agree or you are not tolerant with different opinion then yours that your problem
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you like it if somebody went to where you work and dogged on your work in front of your potential customers? I doubt it, because your own work isn't even visible. And so what if you don't care for OP's style? They are not a concept artist, they're job is to execute concepts in 3d and as far as I can tell their execution is flawless. Doesn't matter if I find the models particularly interesting or not. And it doesn't matter what I or you think, obviously a big time studio believes them to be worthy enough to be in charge of other artist as a leader. Impressive!

It's fine to critique other peoples stuff, that's like the main purpose of this site (at least it is for me). But to just straight hate on somebody after doing the lightest of research, perhaps because you are jealous because they hold a prestigious position you might feel you rightfully deserve, that is just bad form. Not professional at all. 
  • sparrow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hey All,  

I want to say thank you all for your support and your comments for a direction I can go in. I would like to say thank you to every one that took part in the survey, I have started to analyze it and I am seeing a reoccurring problem and topics that people want to learn more about. Everyones feedback and opinions will be taken into consideration. 

Thank you all once again and it’s nice to see the community come together to push forward with learning and training.