Home Career & Education

Photogrammetry in Film/Commercial Industry as a Texture Artist

Hey guys, it's my first post here so hopefully I am not stepping on any toes.  I couldn't find any rules page, could someone possibly direct me to any posting rules?  I definitely want to become an integrated part of this community:)   So my question is, do I need to learn photogrammetry to work in the film/commercial industry as a texture artist?  I feel like I might need to in order to get the right textures to be projection painted in Mari etc.  I did a little research and it seems like you need to be able to do photogrammetry to be able to get the right height maps, displacement maps to create photoreal scanned materials.  Is this accurate?  Does anyone know if this is a fundamental skill you need to be a texture artist?  Thanks!

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photogrammertry is a very specialized and highly technical skill that most texture artists do not possess nor need to. Of course, if you can do it, it's a plus, but it's not expected.

For the most part, you will be creating textures with a mix of traditional techniques, procedural workflows, and via scan content library such as Quixel's megascans.
  • tylerdahl03
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake thanks for the response.  That helps a lot:).  One last quick question.  So I understand the procedural workflows in terms of using like substance designer/painter or Mari's procedural tools but I'm a little shakey on the traditional techniques.  Are the traditional techniques you are talking about basically involve taking like a 4K picture for example to like B2M or CrazyBump and generating all your roughness, displacement, etc. maps?  Or getting a picture from textures.com and generating maps from it on B2M/CrazyBump?  That's what I envision traditional techniques as.  What're your thoughts?  And thanks so much!:)