Home Marmoset

How to bake cylinders in marmoset ?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Todd_Marsh polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, i love baking in marmoset for many reasons but its had one major drawback for me which is that since im not able to load custom cages there seems to be no way to properly bake cylinders... does anyone know a way around this ?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firstly, custom cage support is coming in 3.05! You can also try using the skew painting tools along the edges of cylinders.

Generally, the proper way to bake cylinders in any baking app is to add enough geometry to avoid waviness. What is "enough" usually depends on the intended viewing distance of the asset. You can have straight lines on a low res cylinder if you go out of your way with custom cages and such, but it's always going to look like a jagged, low res cylinder. So unless you're working on a mobile game or something with very strict polygon limits, it's usually not a very good approach.
  • Todd_Marsh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd_Marsh polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for the reply, great news that custom cages are coming :) i cant add extra bevel edges due to tri count budget unfortunately. ive always found a custom cage with the flat side of the cyl being flush with the hires flat side has always eliminated most or all of the waviness and the offset will shrink the cage along the normal axis towards the lowres vert which isnt helpful in this case.   one  partial solution ive found is baking with the bevelled edges and then deleting the extra edges after bake. do you know when 3.05 is coming ? we all use marmo bakes in my team now so keep up the good work :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Todd,

We don't have an ETA for 3.05 yet but it's a smaller update than 3.04 was, so it should be out sooner rather than later.