Home Career & Education

Using alphas bought online in portfolio.

jake1210
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
jake1210 polycounter lvl 4
How do people feel about using pre-made alphas in your models that you purchase on sites such as Gumroad. Is this a problem to use such models in my portfolio if I were to purchase and overall would this be a good idea to use? Seen some really cool ornate alphas that would save me a lot of trouble.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I'd say use your best judgement.  If you make some sort of model that is 80% purchased alphas stamped all over it and 20% your own contribution, maybe don't use that as a portfolio piece that you're representing as your own work.

On the other hand, if you use the alphas to accent some tileset pieces that you use to build an environment that is primarily your own work, I see no problem with that.  It's a tool that helps you accomplish your goal.

I've used SP smart materials and alphas that i've purchased in my own work, but they were a small contribution to a body of work that was primarily my own.  Like many other things, they're tools that are a means to an end, helping artists work smarter not harder.  Just don't take someone else's work, tweak it a tiny bit, and try to present it as your own.
  • Larry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    I also wanted to find a solution for ornament details. There is no workaround to that, you have to model / sculpt them yourself. You can create the generic shape alphas on photoshop or download them from the web, you still need to sculpt a lot of details on it. I am gradually building my skills on zbrush sculpting these ornaments, it is a good exercise but quite frustrating as well