Home Technical Talk

[zbrush] how can I transfer details to another mesh , to continue sculpting ?

rafastrip
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
rafastrip polycounter lvl 4
Hi, first of all , I do not want to transfer details to a extremely lowpoly mesh... (because I do not  to finish my model... I just want to transfer details to another mesh  just to reduce the amount of polygons and continue sculpting) . For continue Scultping....

I am on subdivision number 6 , near 40 millions of poligons.

in other words , I just want to keep my quads flow  ( that's the reason I did not decimated it with master tool,  I am trying to force me to not use decimation master ) I just want to learn the goal or the workflow to reduce the polycount to transfer details to my mesh , to continue sculpting the detail process . 

I ve found information in youtbe about z-remesher  and the "project all" tools.... should I combine these tools ? , however I do not find a specific rule for zremesher ? to keep details ? (my mesh has 6 level of subdivision) ... if I am going to use "z-remesher" for a copy of my mesh... should I  retain at least "X" amount of geometry to keep the details ? .  

if my mesh is around 6 levels,  the "low" mesh (let's say) would be around 3 levels or 4 to get clean results ( project all) ? 

the goal is to keep scultping details with less geo.

Replies

• bentraje
    Offline / Send Message
    bentraje polycounter lvl 7
    It's either you use zRemesher or retopo it manually. After that,  use Project All.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    typically with the project all tool you work upwards in subdivision levels. I would explain it in detail, but the zbrush documentation actually does so much more clearly than I can. Just remember that it's not an exact science. You'll need to smooth things out, maybe tweak certain areas with the move brush a little... but in just a few minutes you should be able to get a good copy of your details onto an alternate model. In order to get exact details, that will require a similar polycount of course -- with some fluctuation due to the difference in the base topologys differing densities.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    My question is how the f##k did you end up with a 40 million subtool? That's probably a part of your workflow you should be more concerned about.
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    My question is how the f##k did you end up with a 40 million subtool? That's probably a part of your workflow you should be more concerned about.
    musashidad, I never use the zremesher in this model , so I think all those 40millions are the cost to never use it.... mmmm I tryed a different workflow , sometimes I use zremesher but I feel I lost too many details... I try to not use decimation... (I prefer decimation to render purpose or triangulated mesh without animation ) .... I think this is the time to use zremesher to continue the detailing process...

typically with the project all tool you work upwards in subdivision levels. I would explain it in detail, but the zbrush documentation actually does so much more clearly than I can. Just remember that it's not an exact science. You'll need to smooth things out, maybe tweak certain areas with the move brush a little... but in just a few minutes you should be able to get a good copy of your details onto an alternate model. In order to get exact details, that will require a similar polycount of course -- with some fluctuation due to the difference in the base topologys differing densities.
    in my altenate model , should I use similar to the original ? how much is similar ? 1 less level of subdivision can make a lot of difference.... near 200k o 500K less could be relevant? to bake to it ? 
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I cannot make sense of your questions. It seems that you might lack some fundamental knowledge about how these tools work and how they are typically used, and so I'd suggest reviewing all of the Zbrush beginner tutorial videos and also reading the documentation. Zbrush can be an obtuse program to learn, but the great things is they have fantastic learning resources and the documentation is written in an artist friendly language. 

But, larger scope, it may be worthwhile to set Zbrush aside for a bit and learn how to build base models without any high-poly sculpting, as once you understand this foundation you won't have any trouble understanding what Zremesher is for or how subdivision levels work.
  • hoabert
    Offline / Send Message
    hoabert polycounter lvl 17
    I say just try it out and see how it goes. Duplicate your subtool and zremesh it. You could try for something drastic like lowering your model to about 10 million. Then put your original subtool at your lowest resolution and project all, then work your way up to your highest. If you're happy with the results then you can delete the old subtool (after saving a backup if you're paranoid like I am) and get back to sculpting. If you think you need more polys or less then duplicate the original again and try again to see how you like the results. You can try to rebuild subdivisions too, though sometimes the topology is too messy for it to work. 

Retopologizing will be more work but will give you more efficient control of your density and cleaner loops/quads. Then import it in as a subtool and do the project all process through all the subdivision levels. You can probably use it for the low poly model  as well (or at least a starting point).
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    I found the solution with this tutorial ... 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxelvYKey8

I ve made the step with more density mesh (not lowpoly at all) ,  I ve created  a copy of the higher mesh ....  (a temporally Low subdivision mesh to project details )  , this current mesh , make z-remesher with "keep groups" and then project,  up the level of subdivision , and start project again , in every step (3 o 4 passes...)  , subdivide - proyect all , subdivide again proyect all.... is useful... I earn near 100 to 200 k ... I would like to earn more polys...but in the other case I ve experimented...if for example I knocked down the level of subdivision, the details are not good,  so is not the best way..but you can save 100 k for level of subdivision and clean topology with quads ,and keep the polygroups too. 
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What does the base level of your current mesh look like? If your polygon density isn't out of whack and the polygons are where the detail will need them to be and not going to waste in other areas, then you may not find any benefit to transferring the details to a new model. If your mesh is already efficient then a lighter base level likely won't change anything (it might take 7 subd levels to reach 40mill rather than 6 levels, but you'd still be left with the same problem). 

Depending on what you're doing, there might be better ways to handle the geometry. For example, lets say you've subdivided a full-body human base mesh to 40 million points and are running out of geometry when trying to sculpt more detail into the head. If there are larger parts of the body that aren't exposed (such as if they are covered by clothes, armor, etc), then you'll see a benefit to altering the base level to split off, delete, or alter those hidden parts to significantly reduce the polygons they have at the base level. Then when you subdivide the head to 40 million, it will have more geometry for you to work with than if the entire body was at 40 million. 
  • rafastrip
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid said:
    What does the base level of your current mesh look like? If your polygon density isn't out of whack and the polygons are where the detail will need them to be and not going to waste in other areas, then you may not find any benefit to transferring the details to a new model. If your mesh is already efficient then a lighter base level likely won't change anything (it might take 7 subd levels to reach 40mill rather than 6 levels, but you'd still be left with the same problem). 

Depending on what you're doing, there might be better ways to handle the geometry. For example, lets say you've subdivided a full-body human base mesh to 40 million points and are running out of geometry when trying to sculpt more detail into the head. If there are larger parts of the body that aren't exposed (such as if they are covered by clothes, armor, etc), then you'll see a benefit to altering the base level to split off, delete, or alter those hidden parts to significantly reduce the polygons they have at the base level. Then when you subdivide the head to 40 million, it will have more geometry for you to work with than if the entire body was at 40 million. 
    Cyrid, I think you are righ!! I could not note significatly changes, in other words, I just earned 100 K ... the base mesh ( suppose level 1 is ok , it is a "nick" character modified...with proportions and polygroups , I like to separate in polygroups head from torso and arms , legs too ) however the body is a full mesh with body and head together... ) could be an error ? to not separate them?  I will try to separate the head and the body in the retopo process , I need more resolution in the head more than the body.... the body is full armored...I do not need many resolution perphaps 4 millions for body is ok and 8 to 10 millions from head are ok.