Home Career & Education

[Important] [Please help] Finally I got my first 3D job but I'm afraid

Pain
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Pain polycounter lvl 9
Hello guys,

I will tell you my story. Last week I applied for a 3D modeler position at a new, and small mobile game company. After an interview with their manager (he's not an artist but have a solid knowledge about game art), with my big mouth I make boast of my skills, fortunately I impressed him and passed.  Things should not be problem if a week later he contacted me again and said that their plan had been changed and so do my job. He said that I will not going to model game assets or character anymore, instead of that I have to modeling environments which I have almost zero experience before, he asked me if I could do it or not. When i heard about that I was deeply sad and nervous, I almost gave up my dream and said "no" but I made up mind and take this risk, i pretend to him that I can handle Environments without any problem. 

So that's some short of my story, I will take my new and first 3D job in the next week. 
I've searched and watched so many tutorial about Environments lately and I got overwhelmed and lost. I don't even know what style of environments I will be going to do, how details it is or at least some kind of references so that I can have a target and focus on.
All I know about the job is that I will do something realistic and it will be used on Unity.
Now every night in my dream, I see myself unemployed and wander around. I decide to share this with you guys and it does make me feel a little relief.

Thanks for your time.

Replies

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

Heh...can't help but notice the irony, your forum nick pretty much say's it all. I mean really, fessing up at the interview would've saved you a truck load plus as it is you're not going to attain the level required (...no pun intended) to fill the position in less than a week! so my advice is to suck it up by calling them back ASAP explaining the truth and cop it sweet on the chin...end of story.

Because if you're actually serious about a career in this industry bluffing your way through the door will certainly end it before it even gets off the ground alongside present more than a few bumps in the road.     

• McDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McDev polycounter lvl 2
    Well lying is never a good way to get into a position but we can not judge anything without knowing about your skills and what you have said. But hiring an artist based on his word only and not on his portfolio is also something that nobody should do so I believe that you at least showed some of your skills.

"I will not going to model game assets ...  I have to modeling environments ".
    Well those are game assets as well. I am not sure what exactly you are worried about, the workflow is the same. Maybe you have no much experience of doing Terrains and all that and yes there are a few specialities, talking about leave shaders or Terrain splat maps. But for mobiel games that might not even be the case.
    But when you just do assets like stones, plants or buildings the general process isn't different from characters or items. You should worry about that once you get your first assignment :)

I can't really help much but from experience if it is your first job and the employer knows about that, and when you did not negotiate an extraordenary salary because you are so awesome then you should not be afraid. They don't expect you to do magic, but if then you are in the wrong studio anyway. I might had similar doubts of one of my early positions but after a while I knew I was capable of doing the yet unknown as well. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This certainly belongs in Career & Education, not Technical Talk, moving.

Good luck OP. Moral of the story, don't lie in your resume or your interview.

Best recourse is to confess. You could try to salvage by letting them know you can't do it, but would like to learn.

Then it's up to them to take the chance, if they liked you otherwise. Unlikely though, since trust was already broken.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Way I see it, you can do 1 of 3 things. 

1. Confidently approach the boss, tell them that this is your first 3d job and you were nervous the previous day when they asked if you do enviro stuff. Admit that although you don't have enough experience to be confident in that field, you know that with hard work you'll pick it up no time, but you want to be upfront so that they understand you may not make accurate time assessments about how long generating assets to the set standard will take. Confidence! You made a mistake, but to admit it restores your dignity. 

2. Carefully try to figure out what kind of work they want you to do specifically, and try to make a judgement as to whether or not you think you'll be able to pull it off without them calling your bluff. If it seems too much, revert to plan 1. Err on the side of caution. If you would be making props that don't involve a workflow different than character modeling, okay, but if they want you to make Substance materials and you don't know a thing about that... assume what can go wrong will go wrong. 

3. Fight to death! Buy a years supply of 5-hour energy and start learning. By the time they learn the truth and are ready to call you hack, instead they'll say, "my god this man is a machine." 

Don't take this too seriously, I don't know anything about this industry, I'm just a hobbyist. If it was me, I'd go option 2 first, mostly likely revert to 1, and I wouldn't wing it with 3 unless I just didn't give damn. General rules : Never sell yourself short. Always be honest and do what's best for the team before yourself, but don't put all your cards on the table either. Continually challenge yourself, even if that means throwing yourself into uncertain situations sometimes, so long as you only put yourself at risk, not others.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Get clarification about the art they need.  See if there's any concepts you'll be working from.
    If it makes you feel any better, I botched my offer with Moonbot Studios (which would have been my first game art position ever) by expressing my fear about moving to Louisiana on Reddit.  That was a bad choice on my end.

Also, where's your work @Pain?  Any portfolio?
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    @sacboi I don't think I will call them until I get my first assignment and see if I can take it or not. 

@McDev Yes, I did show some of my works to him. As far as I know this environments stuff that I will be going to do will not be related to game art anymore, so that's what I'm worried. You know that, they're building something else, it's like an application or software that need some 3D models. It would be easier for me if it is about game.

@Eric Chadwick Thank you for the advice.

@BIGTIMEMASTER Thank you so much for the advice. It does help me a lot. Option 2 is what I would stick with. I will try my best to learn what I lack to fit the requirements before they can realize. No matter what the result is, at least I try.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it really help me somehow.
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    @Brian "Panda" Choi Sorry I didn't notice your comment when I was commenting. 
    Yes, I'm trying to figure out exactly what they need. Btw, I would love to hear more about your story on how it was your bad choice :smiley:
     Please check your private message for my portfolio, because I don't want to public here.
  • carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    I have done the same things few times [I have the general idea of how to do the job but haven't done it myself and because of that I have work on things I probably will never work if only stayed in my save zone ] , ever heard expression fake it till you make it ? Not been done something it doesn't mean you can't do it or you cant learn fast  how to do it -> you wont find better motivation to succeed in this case .You can either chicken out or stick with it and do your best [if they are start up i double they will expect AAA quality of you anyway] . Prepare yourself for sleepless nights , redoing the same thing multiple time till you make it work .Its your choice
    If you do characters/props what ever  and they ask you you to do building its not that different it may take you some time to get use to but its not like you going to do open hearth surgery when you are a car mechanic