Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Irene, Black Light | Game Art

triangle
Offline / Send Message
fjun triangle
Started working on this project this month. Gonna post here to keep track of things.

Looking for crits/comments, be as harsh as you want to be!

Final goal : Optimized Game Ready model, Previewing in Unreal Engine.

Concept art by Terry Wei
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/be6Ek

First WIP - Basic shapes using Primitives, Dynamesh, Zremesher, smaller basic shapes, looking for a rhythm, face and weapon stuff.
Second WIP, more weapon stuff, refinements and in general thinking of the broad picture.Third WIP, adding in some of the jewelry, getting some micro details out of the way, more refinements.The current model.Starting to work on the hair/fur now.
Sorry for the image spam!

Replies

• NinjaSocks
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    looks like a very decent start! I cant help but feel like the proportions are slightly off like above the knee and below the calf look like they're a bit on the thin side when compared to the ref. Even the face like the nose looks like yours is wider and the chin shouldn't be that narrow. Maybe it would help if you work with the reference inside zbrush and aline your model on top of it in the same angle just to get a feel of what is off. I'm no expert it's just my opinion.. would love to see more of this however :)
  • fjun
    Offline / Send Message
    fjun triangle
    Was recovering from a flu, slow progress. Back on the wheel from today, though.

Blocked out the fur, made an alpha to make the arm/sword handle pattern, but dunno if I want to go with that route or stay with my geometry route. The alpha is definitely closer to the concept tho.

looks like a very decent start! I cant help but feel like the proportions are slightly off like above the knee and below the calf look like they're a bit on the thin side when compared to the ref. Even the face like the nose looks like yours is wider and the chin shouldn't be that narrow. Maybe it would help if you work with the reference inside zbrush and aline your model on top of it in the same angle just to get a feel of what is off. I'm no expert it's just my opinion.. would love to see more of this however :)
    Hey, thanks for the feedback!
    Yea, you might be right. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can fix a bit around the knee area. Everything is very much in the early stages, I'm not trying to follow the concept 100%, like the face you mentioned. I'm taking a rather lax/designey approach to this one.
  • fjun
    Offline / Send Message
    fjun triangle

Progress all over, starting to refine fur and arm/shin pads. Thinking of blocking out the hair next though.
  • RachidJ
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    this is gonna be an awesome piece! looking forward to future posts  :)
  • fjun
    Offline / Send Message
    fjun triangle
    RachidJ said:
    this is gonna be an awesome piece! looking forward to future posts  :)
    Thanks <3 really means a lot to me.

refining fur, polishing face and finished making mouthbags+teethtongue.

Need to fix some anatomical stuff in the face still (ears seem to cross the brow ridge) and misc design/stylization decisions, then will wrap it up. Good time to pick hair back up and finish them now that I'm semi happy with the face.

Layers are super iffy and specific on how they want you to do things, but man they're super useful!

• fjun
    Offline / Send Message
    fjun triangle
    Blocked in the hair, not completely happy with it but it works for now. Have to go over and polish everything later anyways. I think I'll focus on finishing up the shin and armpads now.
  • RachidJ
    Offline / Send Message
    RachidJ greentooth
    Hi @fjun , decided to be of use this time and instead of saying it looks awesome (which it does), I would try and help you out any way I could ,so  here goes me trying to be useful. I did some research on how to go about creating stylized hair, and so far what I have learned from my observations from looking at the character art from Overwatch is that they mainly use big shapes to block in the hair and then sculpt in the secondary shapes to give it the feeling as it's made up of more strands. Also they apply very predominate planes to the strands (I'm guessing it could be for lighting purposes and emphasize the stylization ) . I believe this may help in keeping the character balanced when it comes to detailing as well as save up on polycount. Hope this helps  :) .
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very cool subject and you are getting closer to nailing it. I think something that might help you nail the face is just a screenshot of your sculpt without any colours at exactly the same angle as the concept. I think it has a way to go, the mouth shape looks very different to me, the area around the nose and the sizes of the nose and eyes in relation to eachother all need some work. Good start on the body/armour so far too!
  • fjun
    Offline / Send Message
    fjun triangle
    RachidJ said:
    Hi @fjun , decided to be of use this time and instead of saying it looks awesome (which it does), I would try and help you out any way I could ,so  here goes me trying to be useful. I did some research on how to go about creating stylized hair, and so far what I have learned from my observations from looking at the character art from Overwatch is that they mainly use big shapes to block in the hair and then sculpt in the secondary shapes to give it the feeling as it's made up of more strands. Also they apply very predominate planes to the strands (I'm guessing it could be for lighting purposes and emphasize the stylization ) . I believe this may help in keeping the character balanced when it comes to detailing as well as save up on polycount. Hope this helps  :) .
    Yep! I was thinking of doing this at first, even ripped off models to study but decided to go with the strandy version instead. I think because I was sick of playing OW and looking at their models for hours :D Nah, I just wanted to try the hairtubes method for this because another project I'm working on uses this exact OW method. But thanks again, I'll think over it if I want to do this.

Another thing to note is after I'm done polishing the hair strands I'll "clump" a few of them them and dynamesh them and get chunky anyways, that was my intended workflow atm.

But again, thanks a lot for taking your time to help me, I really appreciate it! <3

Ged said:
    very cool subject and you are getting closer to nailing it. I think something that might help you nail the face is just a screenshot of your sculpt without any colours at exactly the same angle as the concept. I think it has a way to go, the mouth shape looks very different to me, the area around the nose and the sizes of the nose and eyes in relation to eachother all need some work. Good start on the body/armour so far too!
    Yea, definitely need to do that. Will do so when I get to polishing the face. Thanks a lot for the the help and compliments!
  • fjun
    Offline / Send Message
    fjun triangle
    Not much changed, just misc stuff here and there (again), blocked out the shin and arm guards, fixed some proportions and worked on the weapon a bit.
    Gonna be away for a day or two, will probably finish the shin and arm guards and accessories.

I also love procrastinating by rendering. Although I mostly did it to check how it felt/looked. I think the gestures came out fine, unhappy with some macro shapes but I'll just tunnelvision to finish.

I think the face might be too far forward, will have to check it.
  • fjun