Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chinese Cottage Unity scene - Are my self-assessments correct?

Rewinged
null
Offline / Send Message
Rewinged null
Hey everyone, first post here. I'm a self-taught 3D artist trying to improve on my skills across the board (focusing on games). I've recently worked on my first full scene (as opposed to individual models) and I know it's far from great at this stage. I'd like to see if my own observations are on the right track or if there are other factors contributing to the assets looking dull.

Here is a flythrough of the scene in question, the focus is on the building assets of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygas4yX-efY

Here's a list of where I think I wen't wrong or could improve:

- Everything is too flat, should have worried less about poly counts and added detail to floor/roof/wall assets to make them pop.

- Should have made several variations of models such as the fence posts so they aren't carbon copies.

- Needs a bunch of scatter objects to break apart the structure a little, as well as detail objects and decals to hide monotony.

- Should have added more detail to areas of the texture that need it, such as where posts intersect with the floor.

Am I on the right track in my thinking? What else should I focus on for my next scene? Thanks so much in advance, I know how important feedback is for art. When putting it together I knew it looked wrong but couldn't work it out as I spent so much time starting at the pieces.

Replies

• Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bostvic polycounter lvl 5
    Every point you've made there is valid. The wooden posts on the walkway are particularly hard for my brain to interpret. All the other woods seem to have a grain but they don't. Makes me think they are some sort of fiber board. And there needs to be a sensible way for them to be going through the floor of the bridge as well. Right now they quite clearly just sit on top. The wooden planks of the bridge should probably be running perpendicular to the bridge, not along it.
    Just think about the way this bridge has actually been built. The rails are attached to the inside of the posts, not through them, which would be unnecessarily difficult to build. Also notice how the bridge twists and bends a little, the rails attached only when they end and none of the nails are regular along the floor. That's the sort of irregularity you need to replicate. It won't throw off the composition of the scene, but it will give the bridge a bit of life.

A few other things to note: Your opening shot is stunning. Nice range of colours. But the actual building itself is a little lifeless (and dark.) To improve it I would consider introducing a bit of colour to the scene (as well, as you pointed out, a few more objects.) just a word of advice: gives rooms a purpose. If you're going to add stuff to rooms, make them interesting. Houses are probably the most personal space and should reflect who lives there. Are they an ascetic hermit? Then maybe simple rugs and a hammock. They live near a lake so maybe have a boat? Try to think how every piece tells a story.

Man this went on way too long but I hope some of this rambling was helpful. Unity can be a real mare to get your head around so keep trying; it's looking really promising!
  • Rewinged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rewinged null
    Thanks so much for the feedback. I wasn't planning on doing anything else on the scene and moving on with more knowledge on how to improve but with your critiques in mind I may try revisiting it and posting some updates here!

As for the story of the scene, I love the Three Kingdoms era of China and based this (loosely in some regards) on Zhuge Liang's cottage from the Chinese TV Drama series Three Kingdoms (2010 version).

The character is a famous war strategist and philosopher in ancient china, living in recluse as he had not yet chosen a warlord to serve. If I revisit the scene I'll definitely be adding more furniture and such to liven up the interior. I was originally planning to only show the exterior but I loved the shot of the waterfall from the walkway so I zoomed over there haha.

Also your comment didn't go on way too long for me haha, I lap up every bit of criticism I get and there's never such thing as too much :)

Here's some screencaps I took as reference. I did take some liberties as I had set myself a time limit of 2 weeks to see how far I could get.