Home Adobe Substance

Help with creating oxidized galvanized iron

null
Hello everyone!

I need help with creating the oxidized galvanized iron material using Substance Painter. My PBR theory knowledge is quite good, but I recently got thrown out of my comfort zone by this material and would like to fill that gap in mine knowledge. I am doing this for a game asset (trash dumpster) using Metallic/Roughness workflow. 

I already tried to create this material in the past, but the outcome was not so convincing.

This looks ok, but it looks more like a rock object than an oxidized metal one.

The material I am trying to replicate is on this image

any suggestion is welcome, 
thank you.

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I did a quick google

Galvanising means it's coated in zinc  which basically oxidises immediately.  When zinc oxidises it forms zinc oxide and then zinc carbonate which almost certainly doesn't count as metal for our purposes.  the dumpster should therefore be treated as non-metal unless it's heavily scratched

The biggest difference I can see between your surfaces and the photo is that you've not put any coloured filth on it - a lot of that will be plain old dirt/birdshit/moisture rather than anything specifically to do with the material it's made of

• damackovi
    Thank you for your answer :)

I remember I came to the same conclusion about the material being non-metal because of the zinc oxide. The thing that really messes with me now and the first time I tried to texture this asset is that I couldn't get it right. It always looked like too rough like a rock material, rather than fully oxidized metal. I never realized that it is the dirt/birdshit/moisture that makes the final look of the dumpster on the reference image.
    I'll try that approach, I still have that material saved as the smart material inside Painter. I could use a lot of the layers as the base material, and try to add the colored filth like you mentioned. 

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I created a galvanized metal a while ago. Check out the colour variation up close. Not sure if this would work for iron, because I was creating galvanized steel. This colour variation is pretty easy to do with the cells node.

• damackovi
    I textured the dumpster 3D model from zero. The same dumpster is in front of a building located two streets from me so I had a chance to look at it in person an take some reference photos. I decided to texture it like a nonmetal since it was pretty oxidized and had a lot of leak marks and scratches from a garbage truck. The textures were done just using Substance Painter. I think it turned out pretty good but am open to feedback.