Home Technical Talk

Max Path Deform Binding spline -- Maya Equivalent?

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
I am watching Georgian Avasilcutei's realtime hair tutorial, and he uses a tool in max called a Path Deform Binding which gives good control when bound to hair cards. It has inbuilt attributes allowing for scaling the spline, stretching it, twisting, and so on. Seems very useful. 

I know Maya must have an equivalent tool, and I have read that Maya does has not 1:1 tools but something better existing in the curves shelf (from a forum post almost a decade old). However, I can't seem to find such a tool, not after a few hours of searching anyway. I know how to extrude geometry along curves, how to loft geometry from curves, but I can't find a way to bind geometry to a curve, and have those nice attributes for editing the curve. I suppose it is possible to create my own attributes, but the whole purpose of this is to save time, and there's got to be something already existing.

Anybody know of such a tool, or an alternate method with similar level of control inside Maya?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    There's a deformer I used and wasnt satisfied with for what I was doing. 

I think it's called line deformer

For hair cards though you should take a look at xgen - it's not great for super low poly work but for the sort of mid range stuff you see in tutorial videos it works very well
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Oh really? I thought xgen was a movie level only type of thing. Ideally, I'd like to stick with things I can use in Maya LT, as I only have a student license of the full Maya, but I'll check xgen out anyway just to see what can be done with that.