Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Traffic cone Critique

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
YaboyZay polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone, I been working on a small project to help me get a better understanding on making game ready assets. I been learning how to use the quad draw tool in Maya and I was wondering if I can get any critiques on my topology on the low poly.

Also here's a reference if needed

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    That cone should be a perfect circle.  Why not just extrude a cylinder into a cone instead of using quad draw?  You can totally avoid the triangle that's at the base doing that, bruh.

The base is missing the rubber feet protruding out.

Can you post your high poly WITHOUT the wireframe so we can see what it exactly looks like and what you'll be baking from?

What are you trying to figure out exactly about making a game ready asset that Youtube hasn't elucidated?

• YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi I haven't made a game ready asset at all so I wanted to give it a go at it on a smaller object. I should of been more clear and said I'm practicing making a game ready asset my fault. I wanted to get some practice with the quad draw tool because I wanted to learn how to use it. I honestly though of doing it the way u suggested but I just made it harder on myself.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the High Poly version of the cone
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for clarifying, Isiaih!

So, looks like you got the right idea at least, with making a high poly model and a low poly of the high poly.

High poly looks fine.  There's an opportunity to model in the highlighter strips and the rubber base if you feel challenged.  Would just involve minor extrusion operations.

What are you planning to bake the normal, curvature, height, cavity, AO, etc. maps with?  Maya?  xNormal?  Toolbag? Something else?

What are you planning to texture the asset it?

How are you planning to render the cone?
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi I want to bake my maps in either Maya or xNormals. I am not sure which one but Iean towards Maya since that's the program I am using the most.

I want to texture it in Substance Painter.

I was going to render it in Arnold or download the trial in Toolbag.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went back and decided to redo the traffic cone with a better low poly model. Any critiques are welcome.
    High Poly

Low Poly

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Looking better, just some small crit:

Those green vertices are pointless, just use the weld tool and weld it to that outer corner vert. The loops I scribbled in black aren't needed either if the sides are flat. You can just remove that loop and connect it to the corner verts like I did in red. 

On the bottom it will look like this. Weld those same green verts to the corners like on the top. 

Not a huge problem but its always good to optimise, especially when its a quick fix :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recommend doing the baking in Toolbag.  It's way faster and it's a more visual UI.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doxturtle Thanks for the critique I will get right on that
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi Ok I will try that instead. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could stand to throw more polys on the base.   No reason to make it "for mobile devices" low poly.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I added more polys to the base and did some UV mapping. Critiques are welcome especially on the UVs lol. I will move on to baking the maps if everything is good.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good! Add more polys.

Your UV island amounts could be greatly reduced.  Why is the base plate split into quarter fragments? You're upping the vertices split count unnecessarily, it'd put more strain on render time in a game engine.  Grab those faces and use a PLanar Projection.  Grab the strip around the base and cylinder project it.

Also, if you have't already, i reccomend downloading Nightshade UV Editor scrupt and installing that if you're planning to use Maya towards the future.  It will greatly help your UVin'g go MUCH faster.
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    The UVs aren't optimized quite yet.  This tutorial might help clarify some things with the UVs but definitely create as few shells/islands/groups as possible.  You should easily be able to only have a handful of UV shells with this simple of a model.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    A few general tips : 

You probably won't understand exactly what people are trying to explain about UV's until you get fully into texturing and see firsthand how bad (poorly optimized) UV's effect the texturing process. So my advice is to not spend too much time trying to get UV's perfect before going ahead and baking and texturing, but instead go forward with imperfect UV's so that you can see how it works for yourself. Then peoples suggestions and crits will become more useful as well. 

You won't learn everything from a single model. It's good you are working on something simple to hone in on important skills like sensible topology, optimized UV's, etc. But, as a beginner, I believe there is more benefit to making lots of models rather than trying to make a few perfect ones. I don't mean to just focus on completing shit models above all else, but rather, focus on picking up and refining a few skills from each model, but not spending undo time. This way, each time you finish a model, you will easily be able to see from the finished result what skills you still lack, what you might improve, and you'll have a lot of forward momentum as you'll keep seeing ways to improve. Rather than poking at a single model and not being sure exactly what it needs or if you are doing things the right way or not. 

Keep it up!
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone you don't know how much it means to me. I will go back and make the changes needed for the model.

@aclund3 thanks for the video I will look over it before moving on.

@BIGTIMEMASTER I get what you are saying and I also think that is a good way to learn more about modeling. I will take your advice and start on some more projects.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went and try to fix the UVs and started the baking process. Let me know what you think

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your bake offset along that area.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to fix the bake again on the cone. I scaled the low poly up a bit to see if that would help. I am not sure if I should keep doing or try something else. If anyone can give me some suggestions it would appreciated.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't scale up the low poly, you juse need to affect the cage, Isaiah.  Just need to affect the cage.  You see the black edge errors on the edges of your low poly, right?

Read this tutorial, see if it helps.
    https://marmoset.co/posts/toolbag-baking-tutorial/
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    You may benefit from additional polys in the rounded edges at the base and also through the cone to get the lo-poly to more closely match the hi-poly (you want them as close as possible).

Also, it will help to straighten all of the UV shells in the UV space along the horizontal or vertical axis. Weird stepping artifacts can occur with slightly off-angle shells.  Good step towards improving the UVs though :)
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aclund3 thanks for the advice i will go back and make those changes to the model and the uvs.  :)
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I got it this time. I went back in Maya and added a wrap deformer to the low poly and then shrink wrap the low poly to the high. I then baked the normal and got this result

Any other suggestions is always welcome
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely done. 

It doesn't make sense for all models, but for simple things like this I like to build the low-poly game topology first. I don't bother getting the right forms or anything, just the topology I want. Then I take it to Zbrush and use the superior move brushes in that app to start working on the silhouette, and then I start subdividing. When my high poly sculpt is finished, then I drop down the lowest level and export that as my new low-poly game model. The great thing about this method is that usually I don't have to do anything with that low-poly model to prepare it for baking except unwrapping it. So long as it's not extremely low-poly, it should match your high-poly's silhouette almost perfectly. 

I started out doing the high-to-low method because that's what all the tutorials out there show, but I was always having lots of frustration that way. Once I started working the opposite way, I have less issues, I generally enjoy the pace of the workflow more, and all the time I am finding ways to do more with less -- i.e. relying less on subdivision-based detail in zbrush and more from noticing subtleties in my game models silhouette, or finding ways to get more from my textures. 

Well, that's my spiel. Don't take it as ultimate truth, just something to try and see if it helps you.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER
     I like it, but this is a traffic cone.  What it sounds liek you describes works for something more complicated in physical form?

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest, I haven't made anything for which the low-to-high technique didn't seem like the best approach for me. But I know there's a lot more experienced people who work high-to-low, and especially for Zbrush guru's who have little issue with efficiently retopoing something they have prototyped without regard for topology, it probably makes sense to just do the purely artistic stuff up front and save the technical aspects for later. 

But I'm just approaching one year in 3d, so that kind of workflow doesn't provide me any benefit as I am still getting to grips with the tools and also improving my art little by little. So for my situation -- a beginner -- I think I've found a pretty good workflow that helps keep the ball rolling without too much frustration.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER I see what you are saying though and I would definitely give it a try. Sadly I don't have a license to Zbrush yet. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, don't even worry about that part then. The principle remains the same. Whether you do your subdivisions inside Maya or Mudbox or whatever else, it's no different. Zbrush has some brushes that make pushing and pulling vertices around a little easier, but you can do the same thing in Maya just not quite as convenient. I just discovered that you can move vertices along their normals in Maya by holding ctrl and middle mouse dragging with the move tool selected. This is the same as you can do in zbrush, so that's pretty nice.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally played around in substance painter today for the traffic cone. I am planning on going back to fix the texturing on it and a few changes to the model. I still wanted to get some opinions on what I did so far though.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good job.  Get those details in.

Also, in general, it's helpful to add a VERY SUBTLE roughness noise over the whole object to break up the specularity just a tad bit.

Also, wear and tear should be in specific places.  If you're not handpainting some of the scuffs, you're doing it wrong.
  • YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally had time to finish up the texture for the cone. I feel very good about this one. Any critiques are welcome

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make the white strips reflective.

• YaboyZay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi Got u
  • YaboyZay
    Options