Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Falcon (Fan-Art)

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Glend Galdamez polycounter lvl 3
Hello, Polycount. 

This is my first post on here. Looking forward to posting more artwork on here! :smile:

Critiques, feedback and discussion always appreciated! 

Here is my latest work on The Falcon. Its sitting at a tri-count of 39,786 and textured using a PBR workflow in Substance Painter. 

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gzlxe

Replies

• DarkLord3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkLord3d null
    Hey dude, not bad! A couple things to take note for next time - overall modeling is pretty good, i would double check to make sure the proportions are good, his hands and face feel a bit large and legs a bit short. Your textures especially on the wings are getting a little dusty muddy, really try to define your materials cloth, skin, metal they all feel a bit plasticy. Your presentation could be stronger, maybe get him in a different lighting environment that's not so hot and white light. Push the pose, look at some super hero pose references to really accentuate the power of this guys. Anyways nice work!
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dude, not bad! A couple things to take note for next time - overall modeling is pretty good, i would double check to make sure the proportions are good, his hands and face feel a bit large and legs a bit short. Your textures especially on the wings are getting a little dusty muddy, really try to define your materials cloth, skin, metal they all feel a bit plasticy. Your presentation could be stronger, maybe get him in a different lighting environment that's not so hot and white light. Push the pose, look at some super hero pose references to really accentuate the power of this guys. Anyways nice work!
    Thanks for the feedback! 

I feel like slowing down in the UV process will definitely make a difference in those dusty muddy areas. 

• hoabert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hoabert polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, the face totally looks like Sam Wilson to me. I agree with what Darklord3d said, polishing up those proportions and details will help. I think the mask, googles, and wings could use a little more geometry and sculpting detail since they're the iconic parts of his costume. The skin and hair look like they're the same material or maybe that's just because the lighting is a little strong. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The emissive bits should have more gradience to them instead of these blocks of solid color.
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hoabert said:
    Looking good, the face totally looks like Sam Wilson to me. I agree with what Darklord3d said, polishing up those proportions and details will help. I think the mask, googles, and wings could use a little more geometry and sculpting detail since they're the iconic parts of his costume. The skin and hair look like they're the same material or maybe that's just because the lighting is a little strong. 
    The emissive bits should have more gradience to them instead of these blocks of solid color.
    Thanks for the feedback! 

Making some changes right now. Fixed some of the UV's, and added gradient emissive. 

Be back later with more updates. :smile:

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it just me or do the wings not work with the design idea of Falcon?

He seems more Angel than Falcon given their undulations.
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it just me or do the wings not work with the design idea of Falcon?

He seems more Angel than Falcon given their undulations.

You make a good point. 

Originally I had some add-on's attached to the wings, which made it thicker where some of those indulations go up, including multiple blades at the end to simulate where the feathers end. But I didn't really like where that was going. This is what I ended up with at the end. Mainly because I wanted more of a doctor octopus style movement. 

Gonna brainstorm a way to change the wing silhouette without compromising the current mesh. 
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the wings completely, and added more to the goggles. The more I posed the original, the more I hated the old wings. 

I was working under the same UV space the old wings were in. I feel like these make more sense, design wise

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely better!  Is it too late to make each feather a separate piece of geo? I have a feeling that'll read bettter in the silhouette.
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely better!  Is it too late to make each feather a separate piece of geo? I have a feeling that'll read bettter in the silhouette.
    You know, I think I can find a way to fit something like that in my UV space. 
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    If you do make a tiling piece for the wing work, you can probably get better texel density as well.  If that is possible, I would also make the wings larger.
  • Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Falcon Update including larger wings. 

Something huge I changed as well was the fact that I didn't realize I wasn't checking the invert on my roughness in marmoset. 

[EDIT] Whoops, I guess the pictures loaded a bit slower than my reply button... lol

• Glend Galdamez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message