Home Career & Education

Is a degree essential for landing a job or freelance work?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Coel93 polycounter lvl 3
Hi everyone,
 I'm a self taught 3D artist that has been trying to get a job for while, and so far I've had no luck.
I started learning 3D about 3 years ago and at the begining of this year I started sending dozens of applications every month, from game companies, to 3d printing and advertising, but all i got were either no answers or "your work doesnt match our requirements". 
It's a bit frustrating because some of my friends that are about the same level as me, got jobs fairly easy and they have a degree in either visual arts or design.
So is a degree a must for landing a job or is my work simply not good enough? 

Thank you    

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Not at all required. Im self taught too, its all about your portfolio. Just keep working to get better and better. Aiming at being just good enough to get a job is gonna hold you back. Compare your work to industry veterans and aim for that level of quality, not entry level artists. You will get better much faster that way. 

Get good enough and your inbox will start to blow up with job offers and you wont have to deal with scarcity.  More output ;)
  • Coel93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coel93 polycounter lvl 3
    I see, well I guess I'll keep pushing foward then, thank you for the advice! 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Wnat might explain with the lack of work is your portfolio.
    We can provide some feedback that way if you post it.

I thought my portfolio was better than my peers when I left uni, and it still took me 2 years and ahalf to find a fulltime position.
  • Coel93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coel93 polycounter lvl 3
    Well here's a link to my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/brunocoelho.
    Now looking to my work i guess it is perhaps too bland\generic. I tried to have a bit of everything: a creature, a human, a vehicle, a weapon, etc, so has to reach the broadest area of oportunities.
    Maybe it would be better if i just focused on a specific subject ?
  • jamecz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jamecz polycounter lvl 3
    I'm only in school so I'm not the most knowledgeable but I feel like it's best to be proficient in one thing like characters/creatures/environments before you branch off into other things. Imo the best parts of your portfolio are the characters with hard surface elements like the ninja mech sculpt. However, the pieces dont feel cohesive as a portfolio and theres no theme, also, a lot of the pieces feel unfinished, for example untextured, no low poly, etc. I'd personally refine the pieces you have first before going on to something else. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Without getting into specific pieces, my first impression overall is that none of the pieces seem polished to absolute "perfection."

What I mean by that in another way is that the quality bar across all the pieces seem even and "not done."  Like it's 75% of the way there, not 95%.

That Mech Walker (which I believe is from Battlefield 2049) for example doesn't look done.  It just feels like an edge wear generator was slapped on and was called finished.  There's no decals, no sense of scale, no other wear and tear marks.   It looks like it was done as a speed model.

This seems consistent across a lot of the pieces.

Your modeling looks fine on a lot of it, it's just the texture finishing that needs more work.  You're more than clearly capable from what I can tell, just a matter of pushing a little bit more.

I can get into more specific if you'd like.

And yes, it would help at this stage to focus in on one thing, but it's clear you're a character artist from what I see.
  • Coel93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coel93 polycounter lvl 3
    I guess I've been neglecting the texturing phase a bit, I'll definitely put more effort in polishing from now on.
    I'll probably remake my portfolio, with a focus on creatures\characters and perhaps give it a sci fi theme to make consistent. 
    Thank you guys so much for the amazing feedback!
  • Coel93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coel93 polycounter lvl 3
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    you should really do something about lighting and presentation!
    A degree on the other hand is completely irrelevant.

You need a lot of experience before you start freelancing. Do a couple years of fulltime on-site work first. Otherwise you will not be familiar with working on bigger projects. It's expected that you are highly experienced in the field. The studio will not pay for you to learn stuff as a freelancer. It's a lot less headache to do the job in-house. So you need to bring something valuable to the table. What I´m saying is you basically want to be better than anyone working at the studio in the specific field.
  • Coel93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coel93 polycounter lvl 3
    I see, that makes sense.
    I got into 3D because I loved sculpting in zbrush, specially creatures, but after seeing the insane amount of competition and the low number of job vacancies on that area I decided to learn more hardsurface, since environments and props are always in big demand, but I dont enjoy it nearly as much.
    I've been on this struggle of choosing between something that I love doing but its really hard to get in, and something that I dont quite enjoy but has more oportunity.
    I'm curious, did you guys always knew what subject you wanted to focus?
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Coel93 said:
    I see, that makes sense.
    I got into 3D because I loved sculpting in zbrush, specially creatures, but after seeing the insane amount of competition and the low number of job vacancies on that area I decided to learn more hardsurface, since environments and props are always in big demand, but I dont enjoy it nearly as much.
    I've been on this struggle of choosing between something that I love doing but its really hard to get in, and something that I dont quite enjoy but has more oportunity.
       I've always wanted to characters, a good mix of stylised and realistic work. 
       I think what stops people from going all the way is the amount of time it takes to become truly skilled and relevant job opportunities that provide pay and a new environment which may change an artists priorities.
       Like in my game art school, every single student wanted to be a character artist and work on their own games, but now the majority are working in stereo compositing and seem satisfied doing it.
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    You don't have to choose now. Interest in specific subjects change over time anyway. I always hated character design and sculpting and now I would love to get more into it.
    Sometimes you learn the most by doing something you dont enjoy. Even better when it has more opportunity.

I would recommend to polish up your portfolio. Get some work experience. You can always head in a different direction. Maybe even change subject within the studio. Or quit and go back to freelance.

I hope this was somewhat helpful :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coel93 said:
    I see, that makes sense.
    No.  Went from concept art to 3D Character art, mostly cuz I wanted to see my ideas "finished."  It was handpainting first and then went into more realistic bents.
  • Coel93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coel93 polycounter lvl 3
    Very interesting answers.
    It's funny that we never know what we might find down the road and most of us find ourselves shifting a bit from our inicial goal or in a position we would most likelly not consider being in.
    I guess for now I'll take the risk of specializing in what i like and maybe get a side job to support me along the journey. Hopefully something will come along.
    Anyway, thank you so much for the awesome piece of advice, you've really helped to put some things in perpective!