Home Adobe Substance

Problem with Texture Sets in Substance Painter (Beginner)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Klaus Hustle polycounter lvl 8
Hi there,

i've built a basic wooden hut in 3dsmax and preparing everyting for texturing in substance painter. 

So, to make my life easier i created a tileable texture for the height-information for the wood grain.

But the wood-grain should only be applied to the front and back of the wooden wall/wooden planks.

So i used color-ID's for front&back, up&down and left&right sides.

Now in Substance-Painter i can have tileable textures seperated for each side. Now the issue is of course that i can only paint at one texture set at a time.

So apparently there is no way around with this setup to paint on all layers at once. Can you give me a hint how else to set up this scene for Painter to easily mask-out sides for texturing?

Is there a way to create one ID-Map with different colors, instead of in this case 3 ID-Maps, one for each set with just one color on each?

Replies

• Dumbanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    @Klaus Hustle Well if they all are going to be sharing one texture sheet, I would suggest keeping them on a single texture set within Substance Painter.  At the moment it is not that straight forward to combine different texture sets out of Substance Painter, even if they share the same UV tile.

So if you switch to using one texture set, you'll then want to take advantage of the masking features.  You can right click a layer/ fill/ or group and add either a black or white mask. From there you should be able to easily select the faces and either hide them from a layer or reveal them. Allegorthmic has some great tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6KBEiFOL3o

You can also stick to your original approach, material break up, but instead bake out an ID map. You can do that just by going into the Substance Painter bake options, enable ID map, and under setting you'll most likely want to change your color source to 'material color'.  You'll also need to load in your uniquely applied material file .fbx into the 'High Poly' option under common parameters. Using this approach, you might need to 'explode' your mesh too as the rays when they bake might overlap with other meshes giving you an odd ID map.

Good luck! Hope it makes sense.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You can texture one set entirely, then put all the layers into a single folder and copy-paste that into the other texture sets. Depending on how you laid out your UV's, you may need to rotate some of the fill layers. It would make sense then to make sure all wooden boards have their UV's running in the same direction. You could do this for all of your fill layers to get the bulk of the work done while only having to do it once, but for paint layers you'd need to address each texture set separately assuming they aren't overlapping UV's. 

Alternatively, if you had it all in one texture set, don't bother with ID mask but rather use Substance Painters mask to separate your mesh either by individual polygons, UV islands, entire meshes, or even use any brushes to apply the mask. After applying your black or white mask, press 4 to get the polygon fill options, and then F1 to see your UV layout beside your 3d view. Now you can use any of the tools -- polygon, UV island, or mesh island fill -- to select which parts will be selected or not. Very fast and easy. This, to me, is the fastest, least hassle method for easily controlling fill layers. When I make my UV layouts, I keep in mind which parts will receive different types of fill layers, and I usually separate the shells like that. 

• Klaus Hustle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaus Hustle polycounter lvl 8
    Thx you both, i got everything right now, too much to explain, but both your informations helped alot!