Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Critique] World War 2 Ammunition Box - With .50 calibre ammunition

triangle
Offline / Send Message
VisualTech48 triangle
Hello everyone,

As a great fan of war and prehistoric stuff, I've decided to model the old war era US military box, with its ammunition, with its ammunition the .50 calibre bullets

Since a lot of you are surely better than I am, I'm looking for any critique and anything that can make me improve on any aspect, from modelling, texturing or composition.

Thanks everyone!
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/l0eaY
Tools used: Blender, Substance Painter, Photoshop

Replies

• Max_Kutsenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max_Kutsenko triangle
    Hi VisualTech48,

I like the composition on the second shot, with the focus on the bullets. Look I am not an expert either, but if you want to I can give my personal opinion. I would reduce the contrast because some areas of the boxes are so dark, you do not see any details, I am referring to 1st and 3rd shot, they could be in the shadows but you still can read the surface. Perhaps you can introduce more rust to the ammo boxes to make it more believable. I like the roughness variation of the table, the only thing that catches my eye are those circular brush strokes that seem too procedural, is there a reason for them? Maybe you could break them up with some grunge or make them less circular. Hope this helps.
  • VisualTech48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    Hi VisualTech48,

I like the composition on the second shot, with the focus on the bullets. Look I am not an expert either, but if you want to I can give my personal opinion. I would reduce the contrast because some areas of the boxes are so dark, you do not see any details, I am referring to 1st and 3rd shot, they could be in the shadows but you still can read the surface. Perhaps you can introduce more rust to the ammo boxes to make it more believable. I like the roughness variation of the table, the only thing that catches my eye are those circular brush strokes that seem too procedural, is there a reason for them? Maybe you could break them up with some grunge or make them less circular. Hope this helps.
    Hello Max,

Thanks for your critique, I agree with the contrast, I have gone a bit overboard with them, and the areas are now to dark.
    Yeah they are procedural, as I wanted a wipe roughness variation, and have added a lot grunge maps and painted details. Guess I should've added a lot more.

Thanks for your feedback!