Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Sci-fi" armored vehicle

AerusEon
null
Offline / Send Message
AerusEon null
Heya,

So let me start off by saying that I'm a 3d student and I'm fairly new to all of this. School is currently on summer break, so I have time to work on whatever I want to work on.

I've recently cooked up this IFV/BMP type vehicle, imagined to be set some 40-60 years into the future. It has a lot of contemporary elements to it I feel, but it still has that slight into the future vibe to it.

It okay. It's getting there. I would however love so advice as to how I could potentially bring it to "the next level". I'm at a little bit of a loss as to how I would go about improving it, so any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Tools available to me are 3ds max, substance painter, zbrush and everything in the Adobe CC package. 

Thanks! Sorry if there are any formatting issues with my post, posting this from my phone at work right now. 

Replies

• BramZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BramZ polycounter lvl 4
    I love the design of the tank, awesome!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You could rig it and get it working in game with basic vehicle controls in Unreal.

It's definitely looking solid, though the wear and tear details get lost because of the camo (but that's the beauty of camo for you).
  • NinjaSocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    Looks dope so far! in regards to bringing it to the next level.. it feels like it needs secondary details like more paneling and futuristic vents maybe. When in doubt I always just look around and do some research, you will probably find tons of film concept art for futuristic weapons and if you're not using pureRef (free software) at the moment I suggest you start. It really helps me keep my end target look and feel while I'm working cos I'm constantly looking at reference. Look forward to more updates on this ;)
  • VisualTech48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    Really like on how you modelled it so far. I would like to see the wireframe though. Regarding texturing, bevels need to be a lot more exagerated in the high poly as in renderers and games we have to do so as with more distance we lose the nice edge pretty quickly.

Also a lot more roughness variation, along with more "history" to said by Ivan Nestorov, the guy that made weapons and props for the new Wolfenstein game. The history adds so much depth to the object and makes it feel more alive and close to us.
  • AerusEon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AerusEon null
    Thanks everyone!

I'll make sure to check out pureRef, I've not heard about this before.

I'll take a look at the wear and tear, more roughness variation. Generally my high poly needs some work here I think.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Looks very Command and Conquer, could be a Nod unit. Nice work!
  • AerusEon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AerusEon null
    Hey you're absolutely right, with some modifications it could in fact fit into a more classical CnC Nod tank.

Not really my intention, but I suppose some of my design philosophy does align with what was in thought when first making the aesthetics for the Brotherhood of Nod