Home Technical Talk

Beginner to Character modeling.

Hi! I'm starting with character modeling which is something I really love, I already have some kind of experience with my 3D software (Blender) since I followed a few tutorials on random stuff, but I stopped and decided to focus on characters.
But it seems that actual character modeling relies heavily on sculpting and retopo, I don't have a graphic table yet, and I tried sculpting with a mouse and did not worked.
My Graphic Table will take about a month to arrive since here where I live (Brazil) things from outside the country takes a bit longer (1~2 months) to arrive.
I can already draw a few characters, not the best drawings, but I keep studying anatomy and stuff.
And I did modeled something which is this low poly body, but I don't know what I should do next to practice modeling characters and I don't want to keep waiting for 1 month until my table arrives.
So if you could give me a bit of advice I'd appreciate.
Thanks!

Replies

• Counstantine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm starting with 3D, specifically with character modelling, that is something I love.
    So I decided to start with a basic male body quite low poly just to see if I could do this, gathered like 2 videos from youtube and a bunch of references from google.
    And finally this is the result, took like a few hours of modeling, deleting and remodeling.
    So I want to ask for any tips on how to improve on modeling.
    (Ps: I don't have any artist friends, so this is the only place I got to ask for help.)
  • Moety
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moety polycounter lvl 3
    I wouldn't consider myself an expert but for starters I'd say 99% of the time modelling toes is pointless for games, since essentially all the time the character will be wearing shoes.
    Secondly, its difficult to see from your screenshots but keep into consideration how the joints will contract/ stretch during animation.

i.e

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You've probably overcooked the torso (based on the overall density of the mesh)  Model for silhouette and deformation rather than worrying about features 

Including things like the belly button  is basically pointless as your normal map will handle it perfectly well and it'll just be a dick when you're setting up skin weights.

You might need an extra edge on the outside of the elbow and knee to retain volume - do a test rig to find out ...

You'll probably need some extra geometry around the groin as well  it depends on the range of movement you're likely to get out of him