Home Technical Talk

(Blender) Critique regarding a high poly bake I did for a fence I am making.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
the type of fence is high security one, the actual brand which makes this type of mesh is called ExMesh.

I actually adjusted the the size of the mesh so it would be better suited to the square shape of the low poly so I can repeat pattern it in unity.

I realised while baking, it was the side of the model facing the low poly poly (the backside) which actually gets transfered/baked onto the low poly poly (this explains why so many of my previous efforts over the years probably didnt go well).

does anyone have anyother advice? for example is the distance of the low poly from the high poly Ok or should this be adjusted to improve something?

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The projection distance determines what gets transferred.

You need to tell us what you're baking in to get any more specific information 
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message

so now I am a bit more confused, i changed the position of the low poly mesh to the front of the hp and rotated it and it appears to get a better bake,

with something like this, should I keep or remove the rear side of the model?

I am using Blender, but once im happy with the model I will do more of the detailed textures in Substance Designer.

• oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:

Im baking in Blender? sorry did I forget to mention that?
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    oraeles77 said:
    poopipe said:

I'd just bake in substance designer instead 
  • oraeles77
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 said:
    poopipe said:

if im 100 percent happy with something I'd bake it in SD, but as I was still sprucing up the model I'd then stick to Blender's baking to save time.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    oraeles77 said:
    oraeles77 said:
    poopipe said:

if im 100 percent happy with something I'd bake it in SD, but as I was still sprucing up the model I'd then stick to Blender's baking to save time.
    You're not really saving time trying to debug something that might not even happen in the final bake.