Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Syblast

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Vexod14 polycounter

Hi everyone !

Syblast is an Overwatch themed character made from scratch, I used this project to improve my skills in stylized anatomy sculpture and I learned a lot on this one. The character was inspired by Joseph Korso from Titan A.E and more generally overwatch charadesigns. I may do other skin variations one day in order to explore how things may work on overwatch, but it's a fanart, and I know nothing I guess ^^"

I made this guy using : 

- ZBrush ; Sculpt & polypaint (IDMap) 

- 3dsMax ; Hardsurface elements except the Curveboard, then retopo + UVW 

- 3DCoat ; Texturing (using StarWars-Redemption's smartmaterials) 

- Akeytsu : Rigging/Skinning/Posing 

- Marmoset 3 ; normalmap/IDMap baking & lighting/rendering

Full project's link : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/veJvO

Special thanks to Aurélien Charrier, Aurélien Baarsch, Julie Pain & Arnaud Real for your precious help !

Replies

• Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    So here is the conceptArt I did in order to imagine what this character could be, as I'm not that good in this I only focused on strong shapes that may belong to this character and only him, I found triangle generators were a good thing with some kind of "vents/radiator" on it, these generators are just big cells which helps having energy throughout the armor parts ( like IronMan micro ARK reactors ^^ Yeah, I'm a fanboy of stark's metal suits =D )

Then I started doing basemeshes and to be honest I started with a female version...of clonewars basesculpts ^^" I finally ended up with two basemeshes, one male, one female, then derivated the "clonewars" female to an overwatch one, and finally made a male from her ^^" That's it for the little story of the basemesh but it was a great way to improve my sculptor skills on characters which is obviously slightly different from sculpting wooden/rock environment stuff ;) I still have some pain when sculpting hardsurface parts, cause I always think I could do it way faster on 3dsmax ( just a matter of habits ). So I modeled some parts directly on 3dsmax ( legs/feets/mechanical parts, most of the time based on a retopo over a rough sculpt )

Like always, I rigged/posed him into my beloved Akeytsu, if you didn't already tried you should, even if you don't like animating props or characters, cause it takes rig/skin and animating tasks on a clever way than you could find on any other software. Akeytsu was just built for animation, no more, no less. Btw rigging Syblast took me something like an evening, you got facial features and mechanical moving parts where you could expect it of course ;)

Final render done into Marmoset toolbag 3 =)

Some skin variants - just textures or rough/metal surface variants, no new mesh added or any new bake

• Vexod14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vexod14 polycounter
    A quick trick pose I did on evening =)

• JustinT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinT polycounter lvl 2
    Great work! You nailed the style! 
  • Vexod14
    Options