Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dead Space suit (WIP)

triangle
Offline / Send Message
5rov triangle
Hey there,
As a kid I played the hell out of Dead Space on my horrible desktop pc struggling to run it on the lowest settings and still making me crap my pants. Good times.
Stumbled upon this concept from Heng Z https://www.artstation.com/zz-heng, the dude is crazy good, and just had make it in 3D. Hope I do it justice and not screwing it up.
The goal is to make it game res, do some sweet sweet pbr in sp, render it in marmoset or unreal and or probably, hopefully have something decent for my portfolio.

First steps have been made the past days/week playing around with the proportions and figuring out how the thing is coming together. Still gotta get creative with the back, which is probably the most important part in a Dead Space suit and figure that out.
Fun stuff, much to do, super excited! 
What else am I supposed to do, watch the world cup? xD

Replies

• 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    Decided to go from top to bottom, so I started to refine the helm, shoulders and back of the suit. The back or the helmet are is still not 100% done, still testing out what looks good and what not. I'm open to any suggestions as to how the back could look, right now all i'm doing is looking at old dead space suits from the first game and trying to piece something together.
    Quick renders in keyshot: 

• VisualTech48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    Really liking what you've done here. As a fan of DS series, I think so far you've nailed it. Looking forward to the texturing piece
  • 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    Thanks! I can't wait to texture this guy too, but it still has a long way till he gets there. xD
  • VisualTech48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    5rov said:
    Thanks! I can't wait to texture this guy too, but it still has a long way till he gets there. xD
    Doesn't matter, keep up the good work mate!
  • DarkLord3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarkLord3d null
    Hello, this is looking pretty good so far! Overall the character feels good, I would work on refining your process for creating hard surface - for example you are getting quite a bit of pinching in corners, and also i would suggest to add slight bevels to soften the edges of the plating, this will help pop them out when baking as well. Keep it up!
  • 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    Hello, this is looking pretty good so far! Overall the character feels good, I would work on refining your process for creating hard surface - for example you are getting quite a bit of pinching in corners, and also i would suggest to add slight bevels to soften the edges of the plating, this will help pop them out when baking as well. Keep it up!
    Thank you for the feedback! Yea, pinching is the bane of my existence right now, fixing that and also adding bavels to all the edges has been on my to do list! I've done quite a few changes since my last update. I'll try to post some more work later! Thanks again man, cheers!
  • 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    I managed to get some free time the past week and work on the suit. I'm almost done with the bigger shapes and about 95% done with the small shapes. I did a quick test render in keyshot and applied some basic colors to the parts to see how they would work together. 
    Still not sure if I should change the back or leave it as is. After applying the colors I'm kind of losing the horror aspect of Dead Space with this one, but I'm hoping that with some more polish and some good textures/lighting that could change.
  • 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    Bit of an update on the work so far:
    Started detailing the high poly, feels like most of it is complete, but it still needs small tweaks here and there.
    Did some iterations for the back of the suit and so far i'm ok with what it ended up being. Any feedback or tips are highly appreciated! 
    Next up more detailing of the high poly and starting on the low poly and UV's, that should be fun. 

• 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    Hey guys, been a while :l 
    Finally, I can sort of say it's finished. I'll still keep on improving on it and see how far I can push this dude. I'd love to hear any critique or comments! 
    Here's a link to the marmoset and a few more renders: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3Aknv

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Those matte gray areas on the torso and legs nee mroe roughness variance. They read WAY too flat.

The shinier areeas need that too
  • 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    True that, I'll see what I can do!
  • Shuma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuma polycounter lvl 9
    Hey 5ROv nice one, the back look cool. I loved the first dead space too, so scary :smile: .
    It look like you rush to quickly on detailing this guy and didn't take enough attention in basic shapes and proportion.
    You have nice details but your character lack stature, and well defined form of the human body underneath the suit.
    Take a look back at the concept and even  if the suit is meant to be bulky you can see how shoulders are visible, waist clearly marked or how white plate on the pectoral area are here to add volume in the upper chest so he dont look like a soda can.
    Your legs are too cylindrical also, look on the concept the curve on the leg formed by the thigh, knee and calves. There is basically no knee definition in the shape of your leg.
    There is a problem also in the definition of material, the piece on the thigh, look strange to me, the front is really smooth like some kind of hard plastic but the back have a lots of folds like cloths so I can't tell what material is it.
    Stay focus on shape and proportion for the next one before detailing .

• 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    Shuma said:
    Hey 5ROv nice one, the back look cool. I loved the first dead space too, so scary :smile: .
    It look like you rush to quickly on detailing this guy and didn't take enough attention in basic shapes and proportion.
    You have nice details but your character lack stature, and well defined form of the human body underneath the suit.
    Take a look back at the concept and even  if the suit is meant to be bulky you can see how shoulders are visible, waist clearly marked or how white plate on the pectoral area are here to add volume in the upper chest so he dont look like a soda can.
    Your legs are too cylindrical also, look on the concept the curve on the leg formed by the thigh, knee and calves. There is basically no knee definition in the shape of your leg.
    There is a problem also in the definition of material, the piece on the thigh, look strange to me, the front is really smooth like some kind of hard plastic but the back have a lots of folds like cloths so I can't tell what material is it.
    Stay focus on shape and proportion for the next one before detailing .

Awesome man, thanks for the feedback! I'm fixing some stuff now and whatever I can't I will for sure keep in mind for my next sculpt. :)
  • 5rov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5rov triangle
    Hey @Shuma, @Brian "Panda" Choi, I followed your advice and feedback.
    Fixed the knees a little bit to be a little bit less cylindrical, enlarged the chest shapes to add more volume, fixed the leg position and some clipping, enlarged the shoulders and moved them slightly upwards as well. 
    Added lots of dirt, scratches and roughness variation to the shiny and non shiny parts.
    I'd love to hear some more feedback if this looks better or something that I've overlooked needs fixing!