Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New here on PolyCount - Looking for some critique [The KALF Tank]

triangle
Offline / Send Message
VisualTech48 triangle

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new on Polycount (made an account some time ago but never actually went here much) and want to showcase my work and join the community fully. I'm really looking to improve as much as possible so hit me hard and let me know what I can improve on.

Thanks everyone!

The KALF Tank - A Lightweight sci-fi tank taken from multiple concepts 

Cheers everyone!

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Sick tank!!! I think you rely a bit too much on edge wear generation in the texturing stage. The rest of the texturing makes the tank look somewhat new, but then the edges are really marked up. Have you checked out references for military grade armour for your texturing? I'd like to see slight variation in colours, dirt, that sort of thing. The texturing as it sits looks a little boring and doesn't tell much of a story.

My second critique is the presentation. The tank is on the flattest ground I've ever seen (aside from the salt flats). In the greyish picture, you can see the tiling of the ground. I'd much rather see the tank displayed in a dope environment, or a place that didn't look so unnatural.
  • VisualTech48
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VisualTech48 triangle
    Sick tank!!! I think you rely a bit too much on edge wear generation in the texturing stage. The rest of the texturing makes the tank look somewhat new, but then the edges are really marked up. Have you checked out references for military grade armour for your texturing? I'd like to see slight variation in colours, dirt, that sort of thing. The texturing as it sits looks a little boring and doesn't tell much of a story.

My second critique is the presentation. The tank is on the flattest ground I've ever seen (aside from the salt flats). In the greyish picture, you can see the tiling of the ground. I'd much rather see the tank displayed in a dope environment, or a place that didn't look so unnatural.

Thank you for taking your time writing the review Ashervisalis

I agree on the edge part, doesn't make too much sense, I thought of it as it gets weared down pretty easily especially with tanks, but I missjudged it. I should've looked at more references my mistake, and thank you for pointing that out. So it it too monochrome for you? I've thought of it as a sci-fi, so I went would mostly darker painted metal.

Yeah the ground is too flat hahah I agree I might went overboard with this, bit too lazy, and should improve on it. Mistake, and thank you for pointing it out. 

Will do a new in Unity and Blender so expect a new render. Cheers