Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Nik

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
NikDemidko polycounter lvl 2
Well, for the last couple of years I was going totally wrong way. I learned the technical side of modeling, but totally missed artistic. Moreover, my studies where totally inconsistent, so now I want to focus on doing quick drafts every day to study silhouette, composition, base colours, how to work with references, to feel proportions better, polish the pipeline and learn to model faster. I hope all this will make my models more alive and pretty.

Here are some rules I set to myself:

1. Spend at least 1 h for drafting every day.
My daily routine is busy, but I am sure, if I make it priority - I would be always able to find an hour or two to sketch some ugly aubergine at least. Even if I need to take laptop in shower.

2. Keep it simple.
Complicated concepts are more likely to stay unfinished or look uglier than they could. Difficulty will come naturally as my skills grow.

3. Publish everything.
Even if my eyes explode. Even if it feels like 5-years old kindergartener creation wich even his grandma would not dare to compliment. At this stage, regularity is crucial, not beauty, remember.

Any critique is very welcome.

Daily Sketch #1: Bedframe bench - coloured draft

Replies

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Sketch #2: Porch - coloured draft

That took me more than two hours, somehow... Anyway, I had a choice to model rocking chair, flower pots and other extra details, or dive into colouring. My choice? Colouring, of course. 'Cause I suck at it.

This is the flat colour version. I heard once, that it's useful to treat 3d model as 2d image and paint all shadows and highlights manually, with lights switched off. It should give me better understanding of how light works. For now - it just gave me a headache and low self-esteem. But I promised to post everything, so warning - your eyes may bleed. 

• Czepeku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Czepeku null
    Your work isn't as bad as you probably think it is. Just watch out for objects intersecting unnaturally, like the struts poking through the roof or the vegetables with the bench (and each other), it makes them appear unreal. Colouring would appear more natural with shadows too.
  • NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Czepeku said:
    Your work isn't as bad as you probably think it is. Just watch out for objects intersecting unnaturally, like the struts poking through the roof or the vegetables with the bench (and each other), it makes them appear unreal. Colouring would appear more natural with shadows too.
    As this is the draft stage, I wasn't really paying attention to accuracy of the model, but I probably should. It will definetely improve the overall look. So easy to miss those things when rushing. :)  Thank you for your feedback.
  • NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Sketch #3: Thermos - coloured draft

Quick 3D sketch, just to continue daily modeling streak. 

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Sketch #4: Phones - silhouette drafts
    I greatly underestimated the influence of the silhouette on the overlook of the model. Turns out, that not only 2D artists should pay close attention to that. These silhouettes are too symmetrical to be interesting, but that's just a starting point. I decided not to waste time on cords at this stage, except third phone, just because without a cord it looked more like a fat mushroom or unproportional burger. 

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Sketch #5: Benches - draft
    Today I found some benches with pretty curious patterns at Bodnant Gardens. I am not sure if I got proportions right - you never know how useless are your reference photos until you start modeling. 

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Sketch #6: Gates - draft
    Front gates I see from my window. Patterns looks simple, but most of the time I was tweaking these curls to fit with each other. Render looks sloppy, but I'm not finding myself too productive and creative today.

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Sketch #7: Street Lights - draft
    Too complicated concept to catch proportions by eye. Could have been done better, of course.
  • NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Sketch #8: Ice Cream - coloured drafts
    A little bit of drafting and colouring before work. Just exploring multiple shapes of the same object.

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's keep going.

Daily Sketch #9: Retro Glasses - coloured draft

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily Sketch #10: Rubik's Cube - basic textures

I don't like this piece of work. I'm still very unconfindent with texturing pipelines, so I am leaving this model just for future reference.
  • NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sketch #11: Nail in Substance Designer

First texture I am doing without any tutorials, just using references. I guess I started to understand the logic of the Substance Designer only now.
  • NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enter Sign Prop

This is a small prop for my assignment at university. Simpe model, but more emphasize on a texturing, as this is my weak point. I spent quite a lot of time trying to achieve this burnt wood effect around letters and it still doesn't look as it should. First pancake, ya know.

• NikDemidko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ticket sign prop

A bit more complex prop. There still is a bunch of problems like metal bars intersecting with plate and glitches on a cylinder edges. But I am time restricted, so decided to stop at this stage. By the way, I like how emissive materials looks here.