Home Unreal Engine

Unreal shutting down my computer

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
Upgraded to 4.19 about two weeks ago and seem to have acquired a new feature: Unreal editor can now make my PC power off instantly when the viewport has to render a lot (high resolution screencaps, etc). It's not a blue screen, there's nothing in Event viewer either, instead it's like someone is pulling the plug. I have to power-cycle the machine afterwards to make it come alive again.

According to Google this may be caused by a CPU or GPU shutdown to protect from overheating. Anyone has seen this? The machine seems perfectly stable otherwise and has been for years (GPU rendering, etc) and it's not overclocked. I could not rule out a failing or overworked power supply but this would be the only application causing that.

Is there a solution to migrate assets to an older version? Need to test my scenes to see if 4.15/4.16 can do that to my computer - never seen it there.

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Further investigation reveals that for some reason all my case fans - connected to the power supply - have simply stopped running, overheating the machine. Crazy. Power supply will be replaced.

I'll watch it for a bit longer but it seems Unreal may not be the culprit after all. This time, anyway. :)

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Just one of those weird computer things that cannot be explained scientifically without breaking the rules of the universe as we understand them...... :)

On a sidenote, I had to update to 19.2 because 19 just started started crashing(1 minute or so after loading)on me out of the blue every single time I opened any project. Nothing at all changed on my PC. It just started happening and didn't stop until I updated?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Sounds like some preferences file got corrupted. Not that I would know if/where to look for.

In my case it must be the law of that Murphy bastard. I am due to start a new job tomorrow after all - what better time for the computer to break.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Maybe your new job will have nice, shiny boxes, and a nice man who will come around and fix them when that Murphy bastard isn't looking? Best of luck at the new gig.